Child Support FAQ

How long does it take?

Completing the application will take you approximately 30 minutes. You will also need to gather additional documentation such as birth certificates and Social Security cards for your child or children, copies of court orders, and proof of your income to submit with your application. Once we receive a complete application, we open the case within 20 business days.
Legal processes, such as establishing paternity and/or establishing an order can take several months. If you already have a Support Order we will begin enforcing more quickly.
To help us help you more effectively, please provide complete information both with your application and when requested by your technician.

How is a Support Order made?

An order can be made by our office in one of two ways:

  • Administrative Process Action (APA) - is an expedited legal procedure. An administrative hearings officer in our office may conduct a meeting to establish the order. An agreement made between the parents has the same effect as one established in court. It is legally binding on the parties concerned.
  • Orders obtained by Judicial Action - A judge or magistrate conducts the hearing in court and will decide whether to issue a support order. Both parties will be required to appear before the court and provide proof of their income and expenses.

Colorado Child Support Guidelines are used to determine the amount ordered. The Colorado State Child Support website has detailed information on the guidelines as well as links to the actual worksheets and instructions for using them.

How are Child Support Orders enforced?

Payment collection options include:

  • Wage Withholdings
  • Intercepting State or Federal income tax returns
  • Garnishment of unemployment compensation benefits or workers compensation
  • Intercepting Lottery winnings
  • Automatic monthly payments deducted from a bank account.

Actions we use to enforce payment of a child support obligation include:

  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Professional license suspension
  • Recreational license suspension (hunting or fishing licenses)
  • Legal contempt of Court proceedings


What if a parent lives out-of-state?

If the non-custodial parent lives in another state and the custodial parent lives in Colorado:

  • We can request another state assist with enforcement if we verify that the non-custodial parent lives there and a wage withholding is not an option.

If the non-custodial parent lives in Colorado and the custodial parent lives in another state:

  • We can enforce a Court Order at the request of the state where the custodial parent is living.
  • We can enforce a Court Order if it was established here and the custodial parent applies for services.

Time frames for an interstate case are different if there are two child support agencies involved, not just one.

More information regarding interstate child support enforcement may be found at the Colorado State Child Support website.

How do I make payments?

If you have received a payment coupon, checks or money orders should be made out to “Family Support Registry” and mailed to:

Family Support Registry
P.O. Box 2171
Denver, Colorado 80201-2171

If you do not have a payment coupon, put your FSR account number on your check or money order for the payment to be credited correctly. You can find your account number by calling 1-800-374-6558.

Automatic payments can be set-up by requesting a reoccurring automatic withdrawal by calling 1-800-374-6558.

Your child support payment can also be deducted out of your paycheck. To provide your employer information for voluntary wage withholding, call your technician or the CSSU main number at 303-441-1000.

More detailed information about the Family Support Registry and available payment distribution options may be found on their website.

How do I receive payments?

All payments are processed by the Family Support Registry, a state agency that tracks payments and distributes them to custodial parties.
Payments are sent via check in the mail to you or by direct deposit or placed on a FSR debit card.
More detailed information about the Family Support Registry and available payment distribution options may be found on their website.

What if I receive Colorado Works (TANF)?

If you are receiving a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash grant, the CSSU will retain your child support payments as reimbursement for benefits issued to you from your program participation.

If you are not presently receiving a TANF grant but have in the past and still have un-reimbursed assistance, your child support payment will be paid to you up to the monthly amount of your court order, and any additional amount will be applied to any un-reimbursed arrears.

Can the Support Order change?

This process is called a Review and Adjustment of your support order, otherwise known as a Modification.  A review looks at the income and expenses of both parties and the children. You will submit your request to the CSSU. A hearing can be set with the Court if necessary.

If your order was granted from another state, the child support office will request that state modify your order. Colorado cannot modify another state’s orders directly. 

  • Modification requests must be made in writing
  • Specify why and how your circumstances have changed
  • Sign and return the request to the CSSU department that manages your case.
  • Include an income and expensive affidavit with supporting documentation reasons to request a modification are:
    • One of the children has emancipated but your order is a fixed amount for all children on your case.
    • You or the other parent has had a significant change in income that may change your support order by 10 percent or more.
    • There has been a significant change in the cost of raising the children on your case (such as healthcare costs, daycare costs or extraordinary medical expenses).

You can request Modification materials from your technician at the CSSU.

Can I access information online?

Yes, The State of Colorado Child Support Enforcement Program Website Allows You To:

  • Sign-up for a login and user id if you have an established Colorado case
  • Access payment status
  • Access payment records
  • Check on case status
  • Submit changes to personal information
  • Review resources and reference materials



Housing & Human Services
Phone: 303-441-1000
Fax: 303-678-6309
Submit a question or comment


Mailing Address

Boulder County Child Support Services
515 Coffman St.
Longmont, CO 80501

Longmont Office

515 Coffman St, Suite 100
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. M-F

Boulder County HHS Logo