Aid to the Needy Disabled / Aid to the Blind

The Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) program provides financial assistance to low-income Colorado residents age 18 to 59 who have at least a six-month total disability that precludes them from working.

The Aid to the Blind (AB) program serves people under age 60 who have at least a six-month total disability that precludes them from working. The goal of the program is to provide interim financial assistance while waiting for approval of Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Medical assistance is not provided under this program.

Both programs will provide up to $200 per month. However, other income, such as wages, may reduce the benefit amount paid. Benefits will begin one month after all eligibility requirements have been met and can be accessed by using the Colorado Quest (EBT) Card.

Colorado PEAK is a State online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs. 
Visit Colorado PEAK to see if you are eligible and to apply! 


To qualify for AND or AB program benefits you must meet these eligibility requirements:

  • Meet the age requirements: 18 to 59 for AND and under 60 for AB.

  • Be a U.S. Citizen, a naturalized citizen, or an eligible legal resident
  • Be a resident of Colorado
  • Be a resident of Boulder County
  • Be certified by a Colorado licensed doctor as being disabled for at least six months without any work capacity
    • For AND, print the doctor’s form, called a Med 9 and take it to your doctor to be completed 
    • For AB print the AB-5 and take it to your optometrist or ophthalmologist .
  • Applicants/recipients must apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Must meet the income and resource limits  

Income and Resource Limits

Income is considered anything that can be used to meet expenses, such as food or shelter. Some types of income include Social Security benefits, SSI, Veteran's Assistance, retirement pension, disability benefits, wages, etc. You must declare and verify all income. See below under "proof of resources" for examples of verification documents.

  • Earned income cannot exceed $200 per month
  • The applicant/recipient may have countable resources up to $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a married couple
    • Types of resources include: cash, checking or savings accounts, certificates of deposit, vehicles, recreational vehicles, secondary property, stocks, bonds, investment retirement accounts, burial contracts or life insurance policies
Find out more about the income limits for all programs.


Applying For Benefits

There are many ways to apply for benefits. Select the option that is best for you.

Colorado PEAK is a State online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs. 
Visit Colorado PEAK
 to see if you are eligible and to apply! 

There are several options available to you for obtaining and filing a Colorado Financial, Medical and Food Assistance Application Solicitud:

  • Print the online application using the link above, or secure a copy at one of our county office locations.
  • Complete the application and mail, fax or deliver it in-person to either office location.
  • If you are unable to go to the nearest office, you may have another person, called an authorized representative, apply on your behalf. You must designate the authorized representative in writing.

You are also welcome to contact our office if you have questions about these programs or any other program of interest.

What to Bring When Applying

Proof of age, such as:

  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Statement from Social Security
  • Driver's license
  • Picture identification card
  • Military discharge papers
  • Alien registration card
  • Naturalization papers

Proof of citizenship, such as:

  • Birth certificate, citizenship record, or Affidavit
  • Social Security card
  • Naturalization papers
  • Passport
  • Alien registration papers

Proof of Colorado residency, such as:

  • Client statement
  • Rent receipt
  • Mortgage statement
  • Lease agreement
  • Voter registration
  • Utility bill
  • Phone bill

Proof of your and your spouse's gross income, such as:

  • Payroll check stubs
  • Letter from employer
  • Tax return
  • Statement of social security and SSI
  • Copies of checks for child support, alimony, self-employment, financial aid
  • Award letter

Proof of resources, such as:

  • Bank statements or letter from bank
  • Vehicle registration
  • Letter from the broker
  • Letter from Assessor's office
  • Life insurance policy or letter from insurance company
  • Burial contract or policies
  • Tax return
  • Investment funds, stocks or bonds

Proof of application for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), such as:

  • Receipt or letter from Social Security Administration showing application has been filed

Do not wait to apply if you do not have all of the verifications needed. You can gather information after your application has been received.


 Related Links

 Frequently Asked


Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question or comment

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306


Benefits: 3460 Broadway
Map & Directions
Housing: 2525 13th St, Suite 204
Housing Phone: 303-441-3929
Housing Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F


1921 Corporate Center Circle, Suite 3F
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F

Boulder County HHS Logo