Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) 

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

The Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) provides financial assistance to eligible low-income families who need child care benefits for children from birth to age 12. If you are eligible, a portion of the total child care cost will be paid. You will be required to pay a portion of the childcare costs directly to the provider based on family size and income.

Boulder County administers CCAP alongside its other self-sufficiency-supporting services. This means that we are able to more quickly connect you with other services you may need, including food and housing assistance, Medicaid, and Work Supports.

Get the facts about childcare in Boulder County and the benefits of CCAP.

Our Early Childhood Investments fact sheet also contains lots of great information about other programs that contribute to child and family well-being in Boulder County.

Provider Payment Changes

Reimbursement Time Frame: If reimbursement is not requested and received within 60 days of the date care was provided, the provider will forfeit the payment.

As of 1/12/17, CCAP will no longer accept walk ins on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Longmont or Boulder offices. If you need assistance with your case, please contact the CCAP team at 303-678-6014 or and a technician will be happy to assist you.

 Who is Eligible?

Who is Eligible?

  • Parents who are working
  • Parents who are searching for a job (within State established time limits)
  • Teen parents (up to age 21) in a high school diploma or GED program
  • Parents needing child care for up to 24 months for post-secondary education or training (up to a 1st Bachelor’s Degree or less)
  • GED, ESL, or Adult Basic Education, for up to 12 months
  • Families receiving Colorado Works/TANF that are completing countable work activities on their Individual Responsibility Agreement
  • Applicants must be residents of Boulder County
  • If applicable, parents must continue to cooperate with Child Support Services.

Income & Resource Limits

Suspended Enrollment

Find out more about the income limits for all programs.

If the case closes and is not reinstated within 30 days, the family will have to reapply.

Cost of care will not be covered during this time.

 Agreement Packets

Job Search Agreement Packet (Acuerdo para buscar trabajo)

Self-Employment Ledger


Job Search Resources:

What's Next?

Understanding CCAP Parent Co-Pays/Fees


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I use the CCAP card?

You can meet with a CCAP eligibility technician during open hours and they will go over the steps required to use the CCAP card. They have a demonstration unit and you can practice swiping your child in or out of care. If you are unable to meet and review the steps in person we have helpful YouTube videos available for you to view.

Full Version: How to use CCAP Card

  • What is CCAP?

  • The Child Care Assistance Program helps low income families pay for child care while working, searching for employment or attending school up to a first Bachelor’s degree. Families must meet income and activity guidelines and pay a portion of their child care expense each month in order to remain eligible. Monthly payments for care are based on the number of hours the parent works or is in school, the household size and income, and the amount charged by the child care provider. Families must use their CCAP benefits card to ensure payments are made for the care they utilize. Parents can select any licensed child care center, before or after school program or approved in home provider that has an active provider agreement with Boulder County.

  • How do I apply for CCAP?

  • There are several ways to apply for CCAP.

    • You can apply online through PEAK
    • You can also print an application from our website or pick up a copy from the front lobby of 3460 N. Broadway in Boulder and 515 Coffman Street in Longmont.
    • Our website is . Look under Application/Forms. Please note, we also have job search and self-employment packets posted on our website.
    • Completed applications may be submitted to either lobby location listed above.
    • You may also choose to scan to or fax to 303.441.1523 ATT: CCAP
    • Please Note: Effective 1/12/17, CCAP will no longer accept walk ins on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Longmont or Boulder offices.
    • Our general phone number at the county is 303-678-6014 and email should you have additional questions.
  • What documents I need to submit?

    • Your completed CCAP application.
    • Verification of all household income including: child support, SSI, Unemployment etc.
    • Original photo ID – for adult members of your household
    • U.S. citizenship verification- Original (or certified) birth certificates for all children needing CCAP.
    • Teen parents will need to provide an original birth certificate as well.
    • Proof of county residency- utility bill, lease, or vehicle registration in your name. Letter from landlord, roommate or relative with whom you reside.
    • Name of the child care provider you will be using including the name of the center, address or location, phone, and provider ID #.
    • Visitation information (copy of court order or written information signed by both parents)
    • There are additional acceptable forms of verification, please ask your Eligibility Intake staff. You may be asked for additional verification not on this list based on reported information on application.

    If you are working we will also need one of the following:

    • The last 30 days of pay stubs of all adult members of your household OR
    • Completed verification of employment form for any new job(s) less than 90 days
    • The Verification of Employment Form detailing your specific work schedule, rate of pay and your pay frequency.

    If you are self-employed we will also need:

    • The last 30 days of pay stubs or ledgers including all income and expenses with supporting invoices and receipts for all self-employed adult members of your household.
    • Copy of your recent tax return showing you filed as self-employed, EIN number or W-9.
    • Statement of anticipated work schedule.

    If you are a student we will also need:

    • A letter from your school verifying the program you are in, that you are making satisfactory progress, the degree or certificate you will receive, and your anticipated graduation date.
    • A copy of your school schedule, including days and times of your class. As well as, the start and end dates of the quarter, semester, or session.

    If you are a Teen Parent you will need:

    • A copy of school schedule and verification that you are in a High School diploma or GED program. If you live with parent, relative- a letter from them stating that you live with them and a bill in their name showing the address where you and your child reside.
  • When will my CCAP child care begin?

  • The County will be able to begin processing your CCAP benefits when the completed application AND all of the required verifications have been received. CCAP benefits will begin the date your CCAP caseworker determines that all eligibility requirements are met and when all required documents have been received (not the date on the application).

  • How is the monthly parental fee calculated?

  • The parental fee amount is based on family size and income, the number of hours you and any other adults in your household work or attend educational or training programs, and the number of hours your child is in care. Full-time care is anything over 5 hours per day and Part- time care is 5 hours or less. The parent fee is paid by the CCAP family directly to your child care provider.

  • When will I receive my swipe card?

  • CCAP cards are issued and mailed to your home address within 3-5 business days. Please contact your CCAP caseworker if it takes longer than one week at Be sure to always update your mailing address and contact information when there are changes.

  • How many cards will I receive and who can help me PIN my cards?

  • CCAP clients are issued two CCAP cards per family no matter how many CCAP children are enrolled in the program. Clients will need to PIN each card individually (we recommend that they use the same PIN number for both cards to avoid potential confusion). The PIN-ing instructions will be mailed separately from the actual cards so it is important to look for this letter. If you are having a problem pinning your card, please call your county caseworker directly or call 303-678-6014 or email Remember you MUST swipe the card in and out at the child care provider’s location each time your CCAP child uses CCAP care. Do not swipe for days your child was absent.

  • What if I forget to use the swipe card?

  • Your are required to swipe in daily for care used. However, if you forget to swipe, you MUST return to the child care provider and perform a “Previous Check-in/out function on or before 9 days from your missed swipe date; otherwise, your child care provider will not be paid and you may be responsible for the full rate on days where a swipe is missing.

    There are some limited exceptions that are considered on a case by case basis. These exceptions include: A new provider without a POS machine on site, a new CCAP client waiting on their CCAP card to arrive (3-5 days), technical problems with the swipe machine, or if there is a damaged/lost card reported within 24 hours Department of Housing & Human Services hours. Every CCAP client signs a client responsibilities agreement which on #13 that states “I agree to use my CCAP card to check my child(ren) in and out of care daily or I may be responsible for payment of the child care costs”.

  • What if I lose my swipe card or if it is damaged?

  • Contact the Boulder County CCAP team at 303-678-6014 and within 24 hours of the loss or damage. State your name, phone number, explain your situation and provide the caseworker with the 16 digit number on the front of the remaining CCAP card (if you have that). That will help your caseworker order a replacement card for you. Be sure to verify that your mailing address is still current. If your address has changed you will need to provide a verification of county residency.

  • If I receive a replacement swipe card do I need to re-pin it?

  • No, you do not need to re-PIN the card unless you wish to change the personal identification number.

  • I seem to forget to bring my swipe card with me. Can’t I leave it with my child care provider?

  • This is not allowed under any circumstance. A provider can never have possession of their clients’ CCAP cards. If this happens they will no longer be a CCAP provider. If your card is found at a center you will lose your CCAP benefits. If your provider ever requests to store your CCAP card, please notify your CCAP caseworker immediately.

  • If you Need Assistance Finding Child Care.

  • Please contact our partners at Mile High United Way’s Child Care Options, providing child care resource and referrals for Colorado at 877-338-CARE (2273).

  • If I live in Boulder County and work in another county, do I have to use a provider in Boulder County?

  • No, as long as the childcare provider accepts Boulder County CCAP and has a signed fiscal agreement with Boulder County.

  • I am moving to or from another county. Can’t I simply transfer my CCAP benefits?

  • No, they are not transferable. Each county has set eligibility rules and income guidelines that are specific to their county. CCAP benefits are awarded from the county where you reside. You must advise your current caseworker before your move and apply for CCAP in the new county of residence.

  • I have been told that I must “comply with Child Support Services”. What does that mean?

  • Boulder County CCAP recipients must complete a Child Support Application within 30 days of being accepted into CCAP if the CCAP child’s birth parents are not living together. Contact the Child Support offices at 303.441-1000 or stop by HHS Longmont at 515 Coffman St. for an application. Office hours are from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM. Please do NOT request or complete the child support application before you are accepted into CCAP. There is a $20 one-time child support application fee. You will have 30 days from the date you were CCAP approved to submit your completed child support application. You can also download an application from the Child Support Website

  • Can you explain the various types of child care providers that can accept CCAP?

  • Yes, there are several types:

    • Licensed family child care home -must hold a valid Colorado license number and be in compliance with the rules and regulations required by the state. Licensed homes provide care for up to six children plus two additional school age children in a home setting. Child care may be available during any part of the day including weekends on a part-time or full-time basis. Licensed home providers set their hours, plan their curriculum and set their own policies on discipline, meals, potty training and other similar child rearing issues. Licensed home providers have first aid and CPR training, as well as training in child care related courses, and are inspected by the child care licensing inspectors.
    • Licensed child care center- these child care centers provide care for five or more children in a non-residential setting. Child care centers must be licensed to provide child care services and must comply with state regulations. The ages of children in care are specified on the license but may include infants, toddlers, preschoolers or school-age children. Child care centers are inspected by the State Health Department and local fire officials in addition to child care licensing inspectors. This setting should provide activities to promote your child’s development while interacting with other children.
    • Qualified Providers or legally exempt providers are not required to be licensed to provide child care and may participate in CCAP. This can be child care with a friend or a family member. Like the licensed providers, they need to complete a fiscal agreement and POS agreement. In addition, qualified providers sign an agreement listing Child Care standards for non-licensed providers who meet certain standards. These providers must be 18 years or older, attend orientation for CCAP, submit to a fingerprint and background check for all adults in the household 18 years or older with a fee for each adult paid by the provider, and complete and turn in all necessary forms for the CCAP program. Examples of when you might use a qualified provider:
      • For care in your home- You may choose someone to care for your children in your home. This type of care does not require a child care license. The person doing the care could be a relative, neighbor or friend. The provider cannot be a parent or step-parent of the child in care and must be at least 18 years old.
      • For care in someone else’s home-You may choose to place your children in someone else’s home. If your children are the only ones for whom care is being provided, no license is required. The caregiver could be a relative, friend, or neighbor who is at least 18 years old.
  • The POS machine is not working properly. Who do I call?

  • Contact Xerox at 1.877.779.1932 if you are having technical issues with the POS device and it is not working. Always reference the POS user manual which lists all the error codes and assists with troubleshooting.

  • What if the CCAP family fails to pay the parental fee?

  • If a client has not paid their parental fee, they must make acceptable arrangements to pay those fees or their benefits will be terminated.

    The CCAP provider can also email to request an unpaid parent fee form.

  • If I know that a child’s schedule will change (e. g. A non -school day for a school age child, so the parent wants the child to attend all day), how do I get paid the difference?

  • Encourage the parent to contact CCAP BEFORE THE CHANGE to request a written change in the child’s authorization schedule before care is provided. You run the risk of not being paid for the difference in care if this change is not made officially by the parent. They can email

  • How do I record attendance?

  • During 2010, Boulder County began using a new payment system that requires CCAP clients to swipe their card at a Point of Sale (POS) device to record attendance. Your clients are required to use this card at your location to record attendance. If they miss a swipe, they need to return to your location and perform a “previous check-in/out” within 9 days of the missed swipe date. Also as part of a licensing requirement for attendance, providers are required to keep a sign in/out sheet for parents in addition to using the POS.

  • Can I use my cell phone to connect to the POS device?

  • No, all POS devices must be connected using an analog phone line.

  • Who is responsible for purchasing thermal paper for the POS device?

  • When the POS device is shipped to the provider, it will come with 2 thermal rolls of paper. Providers will be responsible for purchasing additional thermal rolls as needed at office supply stores or online stores.

  • The POS device works, but the phone line does not. What can I do?

  • The POS device stores entries for up to 9 days so that they can be transmitted when the problem is solved. When this happens, a “Store and Forward” message will display.

  • The denied message reads “Check-out first”. How do I know what day and time to use?

  • The POS receipt reads the information needed. For example, an attempted check-in on 2/14 will read: denied-AB reason: check-out first- 2/13. Always reference the POS user manual which lists all the error codes and assists with troubleshooting. If you need individual assistance understanding the POS receipts call the CCAP team at 303-678-6014

  • I am a CCAP provider. How do I reach PSSP regarding training and/or resetting my password?

  • Call them at 1 888 509 1757 or email PSSP allows providers through CHATS to access alerts, attendance, authorizations, payments, recoveries, parent fees, correspondence, reports, fiscal agreements, provider information and payment summaries.


    CCAP Flyer:

    For more information visit Colorado Department of Human Services.



     Related Links


    Housing & Human Services

    Phone: 303-441-1000
    Fax: 303-441-1523
    Submit a question or comment

    Mailing Address

    P.O. Box 471
    Boulder, CO 80306


    Benefits: 3460 Broadway
    Map & Directions
    Housing: 2525 13th St, Suite 204
    Housing Phone: 303-441-3929
    Housing Fax: 720-564-2283
    Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F


    515 Coffman St.
    Map & Directions
    Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F

    Boulder County HHS Logo