Colorado Works/Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF)

About TANF

Colorado Works/Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) is a federal program that provides cash assistance to needy families with dependent children. An application for Colorado Works will also be considered for food assistance, Medicaid, and child support services. Child care assistance and other supportive services are available for job seekers.


Colorado PEAK is a State online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs.
Visit Colorado PEAK
to see if you are eligible and to apply!

Colorado Works is available for families with dependent children or parents of an unborn child. The requirements include:

  • Being a US Citizen or legal alien, meet the resource and income guidelines and have a dependent child
  • Cooperation with child support, participate in work activities and comply with Individual Responsibility Contracts
  • Establishment of a child support order against the absent parent if a parent is absent from the household
  • Documents of income: bank accounts, investments and vehicles

Inquire about potential income like disability or survivors benefits from Social Security Administration if a parent is disabled or deceased.

Financial Aid

The financial aid is based on:

  • Family Size
  • Income
  • Resources
  • Ages of the Children

Families with minor children can receive TANF for 60 months (5 years) over a lifetime.

Applicants may qualify for State or County Diversion Benefits which assists with immediate family needs. Additional information is available during your interview.

Requirement for Work-Related Activity

The program requires applicants to seek employment and be involved in a work activity from the day of the application.

The required number of work hours per week will be determined by the age of the children and if the household is a two-parent household.

Work activities may include, but are not limited to:

  • Approved education programs or job skills training
  • Volunteer work or community service
  • Job readiness and job search
  • Full and part-time employment

For minors, high school or GED program attendance and to live with parents or another approved adult

Applying For Benefits

There are many ways to apply for benefits. Select the option that is best for you.

  • Colorado PEAK is a State online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs.
    Visit Colorado PEAK
    to see if you are eligible and to apply!

  • Use the Colorado Financial, Medical, and Food Assistance Application Solicitud.
  • Print the application and fax, mail it to our office
  • Apply in person at one of our offices
  • Call 303.441.1000 to request a special telephone interview or home visit if you are unable to go to our office.

What to Bring When Applying

  • Completed Application Forms
  • Proof of Monthly Income
  • Immunization Records for Children
  • Social Security Numbers for all Household Members
  • Proof of all Household Resources
  • Proof of Pregnancy (where applicable)
  • Proof of Residence
  • A Valid Colorado ID or Drivers License
  • Proof of Relationship to the Children (Birth Certificates)
  • Proof of Lawful Presence in the U.S. and a signed affidavit for applicants 18 years or older
  • Boulder County Residency

Emergency Assistance

Some families who qualify for Colorado Works but only need short term assistance may be able to access financial assistance through the diversion program without being involved in a work activity. This will be assessed during the Colorado Works Interview.

 Related Links

 Frequently Asked

 ‭(Hidden)‬ CrazyEgg


Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question or comment

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306


Benefits: 3460 Broadway
Map & Directions
Housing: 2525 13th St, Suite 204
Housing Phone: 303-441-3929
Housing Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F


1921 Corporate Center Circle, Suite 3F
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F

Boulder County HHS Logo