Old Age Pension (OAP)

Old Age Pension (OAP) provides financial assistance to residents ages 60 or older with little or no income, and may provide medical assistance for eligible applicants.
Eligibility and the benefit amount are based upon the individual’s income and resources.


Financial Benefits

OAP provides financial assistance up to $771 per month. Any other income, such as Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Veteran's Assistance, etc. may reduce the amount of OAP benefits.

Medical Benefits

Medical assistance may be available to OAP recipients, and is provided through two different programs. Colorado's OAP Health Care Program benefits may be available to residents ages 60 to 64, while Medicaid may be available for persons 65 or older.

In Colorado, OAP financial benefits are accessed through a Quest Card, which works like a debit card at a grocery store checkout counter or ATM and is kept secure with a private pin number.



Colorado PEAK is a State online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs. Visit Colorado PEAK to see if you are eligible and to apply!

To receive OAP benefits, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be 60 years of age or older
  • Be a citizen, a naturalized citizen, or an eligible legal resident of the United States
  • Meet income limit of $771
  • Meet resource limit of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a married couple
  • Be a Boulder County resident

 Documents You'll Need

What To Bring When Applying

Bring as many of the following documents as possible. Do not wait to apply if you do not have all verifications needed. You can gather needed information after your application has been received.

Proof of age, such as:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Statement from Social Security
  • Driver's License
  • Picture Identification Card
  • Military Discharge Papers
  • Alien Registration Card
  • Naturalization Papers

Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Naturalization Papers
  • Passport
  • Alien Registration Papers

Proof of Colorado residency, such as:

  • Client Statement
  • Rent Receipt
  • Lease Agreement
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Voter Registration
  • Utility Bill
  • Phone Bill

Proof of your and your spouse's gross income, such as:

  • Payroll Stubs
  • Verification of Social Security and SSI
  • Tax Return
  • Letter from Employer
  • Proof of other income or checks you receive (child support, alimony, self-employment, financial aid)

Proof of resources, such as:

  • Cash
  • Checking/Savings/Certificate of Deposit Bank Statements
  • Letter from the Bank
  • Statements for investment accounts, stocks, bonds
  • Vehicle Registration (vehicles, boats, motor homes, etc)
  • Letter from Broker
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Letter from Life Insurance Company
  • Burial Contract or Policy
  • Tax Return
  • Letter from County Assessor's Office

Proof of Application of Supplemental Security Income: Applicants/recipients of OAP may be required to apply for SSI benefits.

  • Statement from SSA showing application has been filed and appointment kept.

Some resources may not count toward the resource limit.

 How to Apply

Applying For Benefits

There are many ways to apply for benefits. Select the option that is best for you.

  1. Colorado PEAK is a State online service for Coloradoans to screen themselves and apply for medical, food, and cash assistance programs.
    Visit Colorado PEAK
    to see if you are eligible and to apply!
  2. Print the English Application Spanish Solicitud or pick up a copy at one of our offices
  3. Fax, mail, email or deliver it in-person to one of our offices
    Fax: 303-441-1523
    Email the application to: imaging@bouldercounty.org
    In-person delivery: Boulder - 3460 North Broadway; Longmont - 515 Coffman St.
  4. Call to schedule a telephone or in-person interview at 303-441-1000 Interview locations: Boulder - 3460 North Broadway; Longmont - 515 Coffman St.
If you are unable to go to the nearest office, please call (303) 441-1000 to request a special telephone appointment or home visit.


Frequently Asked Questions

How and when will I get my benefits?

Your benefits will be issued on your Quest EBT card. For cash programs such as OAP, if your social ends in 8, 9 or 0, your benefits will be on your card on the 1st day of the month. If your social ends in 4, 5, 6 or 7, your benefits will be on your card on the 2nd day of the month. If your social ends in 1, 2 or 3, your benefits will be on your card on the 3rd day of the month. Please see the chart below for clarification.

If your SS# ends in: 

 Benefits will be issued to your
Quest card on the following day
of each month

 8 or 9 or 0


 4 or 5 or 6 or 7


 1 or 2 or 3


What is the HCP (Health Care Program) and how is it different from Medicaid?

HCP Provides medical benefits to clients aged 60+ who do not qualify for Medicaid due to:

  • Citizenship-a legal resident that has not been in the country for at least 5 years
  • Disability-Individuals under age 65 that do not meet SSA disability criteria
  • Resources-Individuals that are over resources due to a countable life insurance policy

Where can I go to get help applying for benefits?

For help with your application, you can contact Boulder County Housing and Human Services at 303-441-1000. Or, if you would like to come into the office, we have two locations. In Boulder, the office is located at 3460 N Broadway St Boulder CO 80304 and the Longmont location is at 529 Coffman Street Longmont CO 80501.

If I am eligible for OAP Healthcare, where can I find more information about my coverage?

If you need additional information on the Old Age Pension Health and Medical Care Program, Medicaid or the Colorado Indigent Care Program you should contact Medicaid Customer Service at 303-866-3513 (Metro Denver) or 1-800-221-3943 (Outside the Metro Denver Area).

 Related Links


Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question or comment

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306


Benefits: 3460 Broadway
Map & Directions
Housing: 2525 13th St, Suite 204
Housing Phone: 303-441-3929
Housing Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F


515 Coffman St.
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F

Boulder County HHS Logo