Old Age Pension Frequently Asked Questions


How and when will I get my benefits?

Your benefits will be issued on your Quest EBT card. For cash programs such as OAP, if your social ends in 8, 9 or 0, your benefits will be on your card on the 1st day of the month. If your social ends in 4, 5, 6 or 7, your   benefits will be on your card on the 2nd day of the month. If your social ends in 1, 2 or 3, your benefits will be on your card on the 3rd day of the month. Please see the chart below for clarification.

If your SS# ends in: 

 Benefits will be issued to your
Quest card on the following day
of each month

 8 or 9 or 0


 4 or 5 or 6 or 7


 1 or 2 or 3



What do I need to bring with me when applying?

Bring as many of the following documents as possible. Do not wait to apply if you do not have all verifications needed. You can gather needed information after your application has been received.

Proof of age, such as:

  • Birth certificate
  • Baptismal certificate
  • Statement from Social Security
  • Driver's License
  • Picture Identification Card
  • Military Discharge Papers
  • Alien Registration Card 
  • Naturalization Papers
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security card
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Naturalization Papers
  • Passport
  • Alien Registration Papers

Proof of Colorado residency, such as:

  • Client Statement
  • Rent Receipt
  • Lease Agreement
  • Mortgage Statement
  • Voter Registration
  • Utility Bill
  • Phone Bill

Proof of your and your spouse's gross income, such as:

  • Payroll stubs
  • Verification of social security and SSI
  • Tax return
  • Letter from employer
  • Proof of other income or checks you receive (child support, alimony, self-employment, financial aid)

Proof of resources, such as:

  • Cash
  • Checking/Savings/Certificate of Deposit Bank Statements
  • Letter from the Bank
  • Statements for investment accounts, stocks, bonds
  • Vehicle Registration (vehicles, boats, motor homes, etc)
  • Letter from Broker
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Letter from Life Insurance Company
  • Burial Contract or Policy
  • Tax Return
  • Letter from County Assessor's Office

*Some resources may not count toward the resource limit.

Proof of Application of Supplemental Security Income: Applicants/recipients of OAP may be required to apply for SSI benefits.

  • Statement from SSA showing application has been filed and appointment kept


What is the HCP (Health Care Program) and how is it different from Medicaid?

HCP Provides medical benefits to clients aged 60+ who do not qualify for Medicaid due to:

  • Citizenship-a legal resident that has not been in the country for at least 5 years
  • Disability-Individuals under age 65 that do not meet SSA disability criteria
  • Resources-Individuals that are over resources due to a countable life insurance policy


Where can I go to get help applying for benefits?

For help with your application, you can contact Boulder County Housing and Human Services at 303-441-1000. Or, if you would like to come into the office, we have two locations. In Boulder, the office is located at 3460 N Broadway St Boulder CO 80304 and the Longmont location is at 529 Coffman Street Longmont CO 80501.


If I am eligible for OAP Healthcare, where can I find more information about my coverage?

If you need additional information on the Old Age Pension Health and Medical Care Program, Medicaid or the Colorado Indigent Care Program you should contact Medicaid Customer Service at 303-866-3513 (Metro Denver) or 1-800-221-3943 (Outside the Metro Denver Area).



Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question or comment

Mailing Address

P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306


Benefits: 3460 Broadway
Map & Directions
Housing: 2525 13th St, Suite 204
Housing Phone: 303-441-3929
Housing Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F


515 Coffman St.
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F

Boulder County HHS Logo