Housing Assistance

 Housing Resources

Housing Flood Information & Resources

If you would like to talk with someone about your flood-related housing needs, contact us at 303-441-1000 (select option 2). You will also find many post-flood housing resources on this page.

FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency)


Housing & Financial Counseling

A HUD-approved Housing Counselor can help you explore the options available through your mortgage company. In a free and confidential appointment we can review your current financial circumstances, review your mortgage and options available on your particular mortgage, discuss loans and programs that may be helpful in rebuilding or repairing your property or purchasing a new property, and discuss the financial implications of these options. Together, we can make a plan for moving forward.

Contact info:

Phone: 720-564-2279
Email: hcinfo@bouldercounty.org
Web: www.bouldercountyhc.org

Mortgage Assistance

If your ability to pay your mortgage is compromised following the disaster, contact your mortgage company for assistance. Most lenders will work with you on solutions including payment forbearance and loan modifications. Additionally, if you have an FHA mortgage or a mortgage owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, your lender must follow specific guidelines on reviewing your loan for assistance options. If you would like to review these options and their implications and receive advice on the best way for you to proceed with your mortgage, contact a HUD-approved Housing Counselor (see above).

You may be interested in purchasing a new property or refinancing your existing mortgage to include the cost of needed repairs. FHA has mortgages available for these purposes.

  • Making mortgage insurance available– HUD's Section 203(h) program provides FHA insurance to disaster victims who have lost their homes and are facing the daunting task of rebuilding or buying another home. Borrowers from participating FHA-approved lenders are eligible for 100 percent financing, including closing costs;
  • Making insurance available for both mortgages and home rehabilitation– HUD's Section 203(k) loan program enables those who have lost their homes to finance the purchase or refinance of a house along with its repair through a single mortgage. It also allows homeowners who have damaged houses to finance the rehabilitation of their existing single-family home.
  • LPEC Rehab and Flood Rehab

Housing Availability For Displaced Residents

Please visit these flood recovery and housing resources links for information that may be helpful to you.

  • Colorado Housing Search helps with a range of housing-related needs.
  • Northern Colorado Rentals is a rental property resource that connects landlords and renters.
  • PadMapper contains a map of house and apartment sublet and rental listings.
  • Airbnb is an online service that provides a platform for individuals referred to rent unoccupied living space and other short-term lodging to guests.

Flood Recovery Navigation Guides

The following guides contain much more information about flood recovery resources and services available in Boulder County.

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Disaster Relief

Disaster Relief Options for FHA Homeowners:

Was your home or your ability to make your mortgage payments harmed by an event that the President declared a disaster? You may qualify for relief to help you keep your home. Much of the mortgage industry and The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development is committed to assisting borrowers whose lives and livelihoods are thrown into turmoil by a disaster.

If you can't pay your mortgage because of what happened, your lender may be able to help you. If you are at risk of losing your home because of the disaster, your lender may stop or delay initiation of foreclosure for 90 days.

Lenders may also waive late fees for borrowers who may become delinquent on their loans. Just follow the four steps below to see if help may be available to you. You are strongly encouraged to contact your lender for further information, and to see if you are eligible for relief.

Step One - Answer Four Basic Questions

  • Did my expenses rise or income fall?
  • Were these changes in my finances caused directly or substantially by the disaster?
  • Have I missed any mortgage payments?
  • Am I without other resources, such as insurance settlements, to catch up?

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, and you have a conventional or VA mortgage, contact your lender. If you have an FHA-insured mortgage, please continue reading.

Step Two - See If and How You Can Participate in FHA Disaster Relief

The next step is to determine if you are one of the affected borrowers as described below. You must be in one of three basic groups in order to qualify for a moratorium on foreclosure:

  • You or your family live within the geographic boundaries of a Presidentially declared disaster area, you are automatically covered by a 90-day foreclosure moratorium.
  • You are a household member of someone who is deceased, missing or injured directly due to the disaster, you qualify for a moratorium.
  • Your financial ability to pay your mortgage debt was directly or substantially affected by a disaster, you qualify for a moratorium.

If Your FHA Loan Was Current before the Disaster but Now You Can't Make Your Next Month's Payment

This special program is designed to help borrowers who are at risk of imminent foreclosure, so a moratorium won't apply to your situation. However, if your inability to pay your loan resulted from the disaster, your lender may waive any late fees normally charged and let you know about other options. Also, if you foresee ongoing problems in making your mortgage payments resulting from changes in your financial status, you should contact your lender immediately.

How Can This FHA Disaster Relief Help Me?

HUD has instructed FHA lenders to use reasonable judgment in determining who is an "affected borrower." Lenders are required to reevaluate each delinquent loan until reinstatement or foreclosure and to identify the cause of default. Contact your lender to let them know about your situation. Some of the actions that your lender may take are:

  • During the term of a moratorium, your loan may not be referred to foreclosure if you were affected by a disaster.
  • Your lender will evaluate you for any available loss mitigation assistance to help you retain your home.
  • Your lender may enter into a special forbearance plan, or execute a loan modification or a partial claim, if these actions are likely to help reinstate your loan.
  • If saving your home is not feasible, lenders have some flexibility in using the preforeclosure sales program or may offer to accept a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure.

Step Three - Take Action to Qualify for Foreclosure Relief

A foreclosure moratorium applies only to borrowers who are delinquent on their FHA loan. If you are current on your loan payments, then you should continue to make them. When contacting your lender for further instructions, please be prepared to provide them information about disability or other insurance that may be available to assist you in making your payments.

FHA lenders will automatically stop all foreclosure actions against families with delinquent loans on homes within the boundaries of a Presidentially declared disaster area.

If you were physically or financially impacted by the disasters and are in default or foreclosure, contact your lender immediately to request assistance.

Borrowers who were injured or whose income relied on individuals who were injured or died in the disaster will be asked for documentation such as medical records or death certificates, if available. Your lender will ask you for financial information to help evaluate what assistance can be provided to you to reinstate your loan.

FHA Loans Already in Foreclosure

It is very important that you notify your lender to be sure that they realize you are an affected borrower. Your lender may request supporting documentation and use it to determine if you meet the relief criteria. Once identified as an affected borrower, foreclosure action may be stopped for the duration of the moratorium period.

Step Four -If Your Lender Is Unable to Assist You

HUD is confident that your mortgage lender will make every attempt possible to assist you. If you are not satisfied after discussing possible relief actions with your lender, please call a HUD-approved counseling agency toll free at (800) 569-4287 or contact HUD's National Servicing Center.

 ‭(Hidden)‬ Donor Information

Donor Information:

Sister Carmen Community Center (SCCC): 303-665-4342

Emergency Family Assistance Association (EFAA):303-442-3042

Our Center:303-772-5529

 Tips for Landlords & Tenants

Tips for Landlords & Tenants in Navigating Rental Issues Following the Recent Flooding

The following information addresses pertinent questions and concerns following the recent flooding. The City of Boulder’s Community Mediation Service provides landlord/tenant information and mediation services for the City of Boulder residents. The following information is offered as general information and does not constitute legal advice.

To Discuss Your Situation or for Mediation Services, Call CMS at 303-441-4364.

How will repairs be made and who is responsible?

  • Always check the lease to determine if there is any applicable language on who is responsible for maintaining and repairing the premises.
  • Check if the property has any flood insurance which may cover repairs.
  • The tenant should present a written list of the needed repairs to the landlord requesting the repairs be made by a certain date within a reasonable timeframe.
  • Tenants should make an effort to cooperate with the completion of any repair work by allowing access to the property. If the tenant prevents repairs to be done, they may assume some responsibility for any damages that may result.
  • Assistance for tenants is available through FEMA. Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional are available. Call 1-800-621-3362 to apply for assistance.
  • During a flood cleanup, it is important to protect the indoor air quality by removing contaminated materials and reducing moisture and humidity. Standing water and wet materials are a breeding ground for microorganisms, such as viruses, bacteria, and mold. They can cause disease, trigger allergic reactions, and continue to damage materials long after the flood. For resources about what to look for, how to clean up, and a list of professionals who can help, visit www.bouldercountyflood.org and select "Indoor Air Quality."

What if repairs are not being made in a timely fashion?

  • The Warranty of Habitability (CRS 38-12-501) is a law which affords tenants protections when living conditions in a rental property are deemed uninhabitable. The law stipulates that a breach of warranty of habitability exists when conditions become materially dangerous or hazardous to a tenant’s life, health or safety and that the landlord has failed to cure within a reasonable time frame after having received written notice of the condition by the tenant. In these situations, tenants may have the option of breaking the lease, withholding rent, or suing for damages however these are all considered risky options and a tenant should seek legal advice prior to pursuing any of these avenues.
  • Be aware that the reasonable time frame for making the repairs is based on facts and surrounding circumstances. In the current circumstances where there is a high demand on repair/flood restoration services, it may take longer to get the repairs made. A reasonable time frame is “reasonable under the circumstances”. However, a landlord would be wise to keep a record of all attempts to contact contractors so they can demonstrate their efforts.

At what point can the lease be terminated?

  • The law provides for a landlord to terminate the lease if there is damage as a result of catastrophe. However, the law does not set a defined standard regarding the extent of damage that clearly defines whether a landlord can or cannot terminate the lease. (CRS 38-12-503).
  • Tenants have recourse to break their lease if the landlord fails to make repairs within a reasonable timeframe (see previous section on Warranty of habitability). However, tenants should exercise extreme caution and seek legal advice before pursuing this option as this issue may have to be brought up in court before a tenant is released from their lease obligation.
  • Ideally the tenant and landlord could negotiate between themselves and come up with an agreement on terminating the lease. This agreement should be in writing and signed by all parties. If negotiating is unsuccessful, mediation services are a good option for resolving the dispute. The City of Boulder Mediation Services are available for properties located within the City of Boulder (303-441-4364)

Who pays for alternate accommodations if a tenant is displaced?

  • The Warranty of Habitability law as written does not adequately address who would pay for temporary housing and it is best for landlords and tenants to negotiate this issue between themselves. Mediation is also an option for settling a dispute on this issue. Seeking legal advice to resolve issues around alternate accommodations is another option.
  • FEMA may provide reimbursement for temporary housing and renters should apply for assistance by calling 1-800-621-33

Rental Assistance through Federal Aid Programs

  • Rental payments for temporary housing for those whose homes are unlivable. Initial assistance may be provided for up to three months for homeowners and at least one month for renters. Assistance may be extended if requested after the initial period based on a review of individual applicant requirements. (Source: FEMA funded and administered.)
  • Grants for home repairs and replacement of essential household items not covered by insurance to make damaged dwellings safe, sanitary and functional. (Source: FEMA funded and administered.)
  • Grants to replace personal property and help meet medical, dental, funeral, transportation and other serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance or other federal, state and charitable aid programs. (Source: FEMA funded at 75 percent of total eligible costs; 25 percent funded by the state.)
  • Low-interest loans to cover residential losses not fully compensated by insurance. Loans available up to $200,000 for primary residence; $40,000 for personal property, including renter losses. Loans available up to $2 million for business property losses not fully compensated by insurance. (Source: U.S. Small Business Administration.)

How to Apply for Assistance:

Those in the area designated for assistance to affected individuals and business owners can begin the disaster application process by registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or by web enabled mobile device at m.fema.gov. Disaster assistance applicants, who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

Follow FEMA online at

Additional Resources

  • Community Mediation Service– (303) 441-4364 www.bouldercolorado.gov
  • Longmont Mediation Service – (303) 651-8444 www.ci.longmont.co.us
  • Boulder County Health Department Indoor Air Quality (Mold, etc.) – (303) 441-1564
  • Housing Inspection and Rental Licensing – (303) 441-3152
  • Boulder County Legal Services (Low-income only) – (303) 449-7575
  • CU Legal Aid and Defender Program (Low-income only) – (303) 492-8126
  • Colorado Revised Statutes www.michie.com/colorado
  • Boulder Revised Code www.colocode.com

 Legal Assistance

Legal Assistance

FEMA is working with the national, state, and local bar associations to offer no-cost, disaster-related legal advice to those impacted in Adams, Boulder, Clear Creek, El Paso, Jefferson, Larimer and Weld counties. More info here: www.colofloodlegalrelief.org

The type of legal assistance available includes:

  • Assistance with securing FEMA and other government benefits available to disaster survivors
  • Assistance with life, medical and property insurance claims
  • Help with home repair contracts and contractors
  • Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in the disaster
  • Assisting in consumer protection matters, remedies and procedure
  • Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems
  • Counseling on landlord/tenant problems