Private Roads, Culverts & Bridges

Private Access Permitting and Construction

The September 2013 flood damaged or destroyed many private water crossings (bridges and culverts). After the flood, Boulder County began issuing Flood Recovery Access Permits (FRAP). FRAPs are permits which allow owners to construct a temporary access to their property where it is feasible and safe. Eventually, all accesses constructed with or without a FRAP will need to obtain a permanent permit for the post-flood crossing, which may require that the access be replaced to ensure compliance with all requirements.

How to Obtain Permanent Access

The county is now issuing permits for permanent access where possible. In most cases, if the access does not include a water crossing, a Transportation Access Permit may be issued without additional work required. When the access involves a water crossing, several elements must be considered such as whether the road construction adjacent to the crossing has been completed and whether there are planned projects in the creek that may change how the creek flows.

Each crossing will require a site-specific analysis to determine if it is currently possible to issue a permit for permanent access or if the FRAP expiration date needs to be extended by the County Engineer. Residents should contact the Flood Rebuilding and Permit Information Center (FRPIC) at 303-441-1705 or for more information. 

Private Access Funding- CDBG-DR Home Access Program

The Community Development Block Grant-Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) Home Access program can assist property owners with expenses associated with the replacement or repair of flood-damaged bridges and culverts. Funds can assist with expenses already incurred (reimbursement) in addition to funding future building projects. All owner-occupied home-owners and full-time rental property owners are invited to apply to the Home Access program, regardless of their income level. Owner-occupied homes are currently eligible, while rental properties might be eligible in the near future. Vacation homes (second homes that are not full-time, permanent rentals) are currently ineligible to receive funding.

For additional information about the CDBG-DR Home Access Program, contact Kate Williams at or 720-564-2237.

How to apply

Residents can apply to CDBG-DR online at, or obtain and submit paper copies at the following locations:

  • Flood Recovery Center | 1301 Spruce Street, Boulder
  • Housing & Human Services | 3400 Broadway St, Boulder
  • Long-Term Flood Recovery Group Office | 1500 Kansas Ave., Suite 1B, Longmont

Property Access Transfer Requirements for Properties Being Sold

On March 31, 2015, the Board of County Commissioners approved Property Transfer Regulations that provide oversight for properties with flood affected accesses that are in the process of being sold. 

 Informational Resources

Frequently Asked Questions-

Can my temporary access be converted to permanent access?
    Yes, but only if the temporary access meets all of the county’s permit requirements for permanent access.
I was told that I need to a hydraulic analysis of my access? Why?
    The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) requires all proposed development in the floodway show that the work will not cause an increase in the flood risk (the predicted water surface elevation of the 100-year flood cannot increase). A hydraulic analysis is required to demonstrate this.
My FRAP is expiring, but I am not able to obtain permits for permanent construction. What do I do? What permits are required for a permanent bridge or culvert?
    Permit requirements vary depending on the project. Potential permits may include, but are not limited to, a Floodplain Development Permit, Transportation Access Permit, and a Building Permit. Please contact the FRPIC at 303-441-1705 or for more information.
What should I do if I installed a new culvert or bridge but did not apply for a FRAP?
    Please contact the FRPIC at 303-441-1705 or for an evaluation and determination of next steps. If the culvert or bridge qualifies, a FRAP may be issued if necessary.