Restaurant & Vendor Licensing Fees

License or Service Application Fee Due Date
New Food Service Facility
or Remodeling Existing Food
Facility Mobile Unit Plan Review
$445 Payable with application
Mobile Unit Plan Review $375 Payable with application
Special Event Plan Review $310 Payable with application
Change of Owner or New Business
at Currently Licensed Facility
$215 Payable with application
Licensing Fees (fees are collected for the calendar year)
Limited (convenience, other) $235
Restaurant 0-100 seats $330
Restaurant 101-200 seats $370
Restaurant over 200 seats $405
Mobile unit $330
Mobile unit (prepackaged potentially hazardous food) $235
Temporary/Special event establishment $255
Temporary/Special event establishment (prepackaged food only) $115
Grocery Store (license cost varies according to square footage and deli) $170-$620

If you are a sole proprietor, you must verify lawful presence (28 KB) in the U.S.

Colorado Retail Food Service License

The application and fee are collected at the retail food facility during the opening inspection. The license is renewable annually and is valid from January 1 through December 31. These fees are not prorated and are non-transferable. A separate license is required for each facility/unit.

Purchasing/Remodeling: If purchasing or remodeling an existing retail food establishment, the owner may be required to bring the facility up to current codes. If a remodel is planned, a food facility plan review will be required.

Plan review packets may be obtained at Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) office or download a Retail Plan Review and the Hot Water Worksheet or the Mobile Unit Plan Review

Additional Licensing to Consider

Business License

Contact the local city office where your facility is located for specific business license requirements.

City Sales Tax License

Contact the local city office where your facility is located for specific city sales tax license requirements.

Liquor License

Contact the following offices as determined by the location of your facility:

  • City Clerk's Office: Boulder, Longmont, Lafayette, Louisville
  • Town Clerk's Office: Nederland, Lyons, Erie, Superior
  • Boulder County Commissioners' Office: All Others
  • Local Fire Department
  • Local Building Department
  • Planning/Zoning Office

State Sales Tax License

Contact the Colorado Department of Revenue at 303-866-2476. Your state sales tax account number will be required on your food service license application.

Federal Tax ID Number

Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-3676, or visit their office at 600 17th Street, 3rd Floor, Denver, Colorado.

Building Permit

If your establishment is in an incorporated municipality other than Boulder, contact the Building Department in the local jurisdiction.

For More Information

Disaster & Emergency Planning 
City of Boulder
City of Louisville 
City of Longmont
City of Lafayette 
Town of Superior 
Town of Nederland 
Town of Lyons

 Related Links


Food Safety Program

Submit a question


3450 Broadway
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F