boy eating hamburger 

Special Event Licensing Guidelines


  • Special Event license fee is $255/calendar year. For “grocery-type” operation where a prepackaged potentially hazardous food is provided to the public for them to take home and consume at a later time, fee is $115/calendar year.
  • Depending on the situation, the Special Event license would need one of the following applications, which have costs in addition to the yearly license fee:
    • Plan Review application fee is $400
      • Businesses SHOULD NOT plan to do this 14 days before the event. It generally takes up to 14 business days to review the applications. Time also must be allotted to revise plans/applications and do an opening inspection. This process should be started long before the special event starts.
    • Request for License service fee is $107
      • This is for operators who are planning to purchase or have already purchased an existing food service mobile unit previously licensed in Boulder County and who are not making major changes to the mobile unit, menu, or equipment
    • Those that hold Special Event licenses may participate at Farmer’s Markets and Temporary Events in Boulder County. For events held in other counties check with the jurisdiction responsible for licensing retail food operators in that area.


  • License holders must work out of an approved commissary kitchen (food may not be made or stored at home).


  • Equipment must be of commercial design (equipment that is certified or classified by an American national Standards Institute (ANSI) accreditation certification program, such as National Sanitation Foundation (NSF), Underwriters Laboratories (UL) sanitation standards, Environmental Testing Laboratories, Inc. (ETL) sanitation standards, Baking Industry Sanitation Standards Committee (BISSC), or other comparable design criteria as approved by the Department during a standardized equipment review.
  • Two hard sided coolers are permitted.
  • A hand sink capable of providing a hands-free continuous flow of warm water, along with soap and paper towels. Note: hand sink not required for vendors selling unopened prepackaged foods only.
  • License holders must contain waste water in an approved container and dispose of the wastewater in a sanitary sewer.

 Related Links


Food Safety Program

Submit a question


3450 Broadway
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F