slurry bomber dropping fire suppressant 

Fire Suppressant Safety

Fire Suppressant

Fire suppressant (also known as slurry) contains ammonia and will sting if it gets into cuts or scratches or comes into contact with chapped or sunburned skin.

  • Do not use bleach to remove slurry. It does not mix well and may produce vapors that are bad for human intake.
  • Wear gloves and wash thoroughly with a gentle soap (or Borax) and water to remove all residues.
  • After washing, use a good-quality hand cream to minimize drying and chapping.
  • Additionally, do not power wash your home to remove slurry. Power washing will drive the slurry further into the grain in your wood and stain it.

Fire Suppressant Safety

Removing Fire Suppressant from Absorbent & Non-Absorbent Surfaces (Wood, Stone, Concrete)

Because the chemicals in fire suppressant can be irritating to eyes and skin, wear a long sleeved shirt, nitrile gloves, and safety glasses.

  • Start removal efforts as soon as possible.
  • Because the suppressant is a chemical mixture that is water soluble, using a garden hose will reactivate the chemical and rinse it off of a surface. Do not use a pressure washer or bleach as the high pressure will drive the chemical into the surface and the bleach will react violently with the product. For more difficult stains, use water and laundry detergent or dish soap with a nylon (soft) brush to scrub surfaces.

Source: Geroge Matousek, Astaris LLC 810 Main Street Ontario, CA 91761 909-983-0772 for PRODUCT NAME: Phos-Chek ® LC-95A, MSDS Number: AST 10097

Pets & Other Animals

  • Shampoo thoroughly, as many fire retardant products are very drying to skin.
  • Use materials such as sand, soil, or other absorbents to absorb any puddles after shampooing, or in areas where animals may have access.
  • Avoid ingestion of water – keep animals away from puddles.
  • If your pet appears ill after drinking from puddles or standing water, make sure your veterinarian knows that the animal may have ingested a fertilizer-based product.

Vegetation

  • Rinse retardant off of vegetation. Avoid leaving standing puddles of water by using absorbent materials, such as sand, soil, or other materials.
  • Leaf burn may occur since retardants contain levels of fertilizer higher than what is often sold at garden stores. This causes vegetation and plants to appear dead after contact; however, they will generally recover and grow back - usually within one to two months.
  • As with any garden produce, wash fruit and vegetables thoroughly before using.

 Related Links


Contacts

Environmental Health Division

303-441-1564
Submit a question

Environmental Health

Boulder

3450 Broadway
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. M-F

Follow