A registered voter in Colorado is considered a resident of Colorado for income tax and motor vehicle registration and operation.
Meeting the following criteria is required to register to vote in Colorado:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be 16 years old to preregister to vote
- Be 17 years old and turning 18 years old on or before the date of the next general election to be eligible to vote in a primary election
- Be 18 years old to vote in all other elections
- Be a Colorado resident for at least 22 days before the election
- Must not be serving a sentence of confinement or detention for a felony conviction (Note: Those on probation or parole ARE ELIGIBLE to vote. Register/update registration.)
While you do not need to have a Colorado ID, CO Driver’s License or other form of acceptable ID in order to register, you must produce this documentation the first time you vote. Thus, it is recommended to provide this documentation during the registration process to avoid needing to mail in a form of identification when you vote. Visit the Secretary of State list of Acceptable Forms of Identification.
Last Day to Register to Vote
If you meet the voter registration requirements (above), you may register to vote up to and including Election Day. However, in order to receive a ballot in the mail, the Boulder County Clerk & Recorder office must receive your voter registration no later than 8 days before the election. If you register after this time, you must visit a Voter Service & Polling Centers to vote.
Traveling during the election
All Colorado voters receive their ballot in the mail (unless they register less than 8 days before an election) and mail ballots will not be forwarded by the United States Postal Service. If you need your ballot sent to a location other than your voter registration address, you must update your voter registration with an additional address of where to mail your ballot to no later than 8 days before an election in order to be sent a ballot in the mail. Remember to set a reminder for yourself and update your mailing address after you have returned from your trip.