Strategies to Ensure all Septic Systems in Boulder County Are Operating Safely
- Complaint investigations identifying failing systems.
- Boulder County Land Use regulations require that each occupied dwelling has an approved septic system before a building permit can be issued.
- An inspection of a property’s septic system is required at the time of property sale or transfer.
- Outreach to properties without final approval.
- Direct outreach to high-risk areas.
- General education and outreach.
The compliance deadline for approval of septic systems is December 31, 2023. Boulder County Public Health anticipates that most residents will have acted upon a strategy to help ensure protection of our waters before this deadline.