Isolation & Quarantine Requirements
If you have tested positive for COVID-19, by law, you must follow the instructions below to help stop the spread of disease. (Colorado Revised Statute § 25-1.5-102(1).)
Isolate: Stay Home & Separate from Others
- Stay home and separate yourself from the people and animals in your home.
- Stay in one room and away from other people in your home as much as possible.
- Use a separate bathroom. If one is not available, disinfect all surfaces you touch before leaving the bathroom or have a member of the household disinfect after waiting as long as possible before entering, and wash hands thoroughly afterward.
- Have another member of your household care for your pets. If you must care for your pet, wear a face covering and wash your hands before and after you interact with your pet.
Isolate Until: You have had no fever for at least 24 hours — without the use of fever-reducing medicines, AND your symptoms are improving, AND it has been at least 10 days since your illness began.
If you don’t have symptoms you may stop isolating 10 days after you received a positive test unless you develop symptoms. If symptoms develop during your isolation or quarantine period you must extend the period through the first 10 days of having symptoms.
Family, Friends, & Co-Workers
Anyone who was within 6 feet of you for 15 minutes or more (cumulative, within a 24 hour period) when you were sick (also known as a close contact) is required to follow the instructions below to quarantine for 14 days. Please provide them with a copy of this information. The 14 days starts two days before your symptoms started through the first 10 days of you having symptoms.
Close contacts are not required to quarantine if they have tested positive for COVID-19 with an RT- PCR test within the last 90 days OR if they are fully vaccinated at the time of their exposure. However, those who are fully vaccinated should seek testing 3-5 days after their exposure and wear a mask indoors. In general, people are considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series or 2 weeks after a single dose series.
Quarantine: Stay Home
- Your close contacts must stay home, except to get medical care.
- Wear a face covering when you are around people or pets, and before entering a health care office. If you are not able to wear a face covering, then make sure others are not in the same room with you, or they wear a face covering if they must enter your room.
- Tell your healthcare provider that you have or are being evaluated for COVID-19 before seeking ANY in-person medical attention, so the office can take steps to protect other people.
- Do not use public transportation, such as an airplane, train, light rail, bus, taxi, or rideshare (e.g. Uber, Lyft).
- Stay in the location that has been designated for your isolation or quarantine for the entire period.
- Do not go to work or school. Working from a home-based office is permitted.
- Do not go to any public places, such as stores, bank. etc.
If you need help with food, health care, mental health, housing, child care, safety, or financial or legal assistance visit www.boco.org/COVID-19Resources. If you have any questions about these instructions, please contact the Boulder County Public Health Communicable Disease team at 303-413-7523.