Food Assistance – New Client
Corn on the cob

Food Assistance: New Client

What is Food Assistance? Am I eligible?

Food Assistance, also called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), helps individuals and families buy food that is healthy and nutritious. Food Assistance won’t meet all of your food needs, but will go a long way toward a healthy diet for you and your family.

The program uses an EBT Edge card (similar to a debit or ATM card) which is accepted at most grocery stores and other food suppliers, and some farmers markets. With the card, you can purchase foods such as vegetables, fruits, bread, cereals, meat, dairy products, and more. Benefit amounts depend on family size, income, and certain living expenses.

Food Assistance - Health Care Assistance

Please note

If you’re eligible for food assistance, it’s likely you’ll also qualify for health care assistance. See our Health Insurance Assistance page or contact us at 303-441-1000 for information.

Go to Colorado PEAK, to apply for medical, food, child care and cash assistance programs.

Once you’ve filled out the application online we will contact you to schedule an in-person or phone interview within 7 days. We will need to interview you before your benefits can begin.

Once turned in, the information on your application is valid for 60 days. If your application is denied, you still have additional options that we can discuss with you.

Our Offices:

Boulder: 3460 North Broadway
Longmont: 515 Coffman St.
Call us at 303-441-1000 if you would like an in-person or telephone meeting, or to schedule a home visit.


  • Driver’s License
  • ID Cards
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security number of each person for whom you are applying for Food Assistance
  • Proof of immigration status for non-citizens who are applying for Food Assistance

Proof of Income (pre-tax)

  • Pay stubs for the past two months
  • Wage statement from your employer
  • Benefit letter from Social Security
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Veteran’s administration or pensions

Child Support Payment (if you make these payments, they can be considered against your income)

  • Child Support Order
  • Separation Agreement
  • Child Support Records

Medical Expenses (if you’re 60 or older or if you receive federal disability benefits)

  • Doctor or Hospital bills
  • Prescription Receipts
  • Receipts for over-the-counter medication expenses if prescribed by a medical practitioner
  • Transportation costs to get to medical care

Child Care Expenses (if you are working, looking for work, or in training)

Questions about your case? call 303-441-1000.

You may be eligible for Food Assistance if you:

  • Work for low wages
  • Are unemployed or work part-time
  • Receive Colorado Works/TANF benefits
  • Are elderly or disabled and live on a small income
  • Are homeless.
Household SizeNet Income (100% FPL)Gross Income (130%)
Each Add. Member$339$451

Can I receive Food Assistance if I am a full time college student?

Most able-bodied students ages 18 through 49 who are enrolled in college or other institutions of higher education at least half time are not eligible for food assistance benefits. However, students may be able to get food assistance benefits if otherwise eligible and they:

  • Get public assistance benefits under Title IV-A program;
  • Take part in a State or Federally financed work study program;
  • Work at least 20 hours a week (not averaged);
  • Are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6;
  • Are taking care of a dependent household member who has reached the age of 6 but is under the age of 12, and does not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours, or to take part in a State or federally financed work study program; or
  • Are assigned to or placed in a college or certain other schools through:
    • A program under the Workforce Investment Act of 1998;
    • A program under Section 236 of the Trade Act of 1974;
    • An employment and training program under the Food Stamp Act; or
    • An employment and training program operated by a State or local government.
  • A single parent enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get food assistance benefits if otherwise eligible.

How will I know what day my benefits will be issued?

This Quest Card table explains that the last number of your Social Security Number determines what day of the month you receive Food Assistance:

Social Security Number:Food Benefits Credited to your Quest Card
11st Day of each month
22nd Day of each month
33rd Day of each month
44th Day of each month
55th Day of each month
66th Day of each month
77th Day of each month
88th Day of each month
99th Day of each month
1010th Day of each month

Can I go online to check my benefits?

Yes, you can check them on the Boulder County Connect or Colorado PEAK or by visiting EBT Edge.

How long is my Food Assistance application valid?

Applications are valid for 60 days from the date the application is submitted to the office. If the application is denied and subsequently the household appears for the interview or provides verification within 30 days from the date of application, the application date will be the date of application. If the household appears/provides after 30 days from the date of application, the application date will be the date they appear/provide.

How can I turn in documents?

Always include your name, date of birth or social security number and CBMS case number if you know it.

  • Upload to Colorado Peak or Boulder County Connect
  • Email:
  • Fax: 303-678-6090 or 303-441-1523
  • Mail:
    515 Coffman Street, Longmont CO 80501 or
    3460 Broadway, Boulder CO 80303

What is a Redetermination?

  • A from that needs to be completed every 6 months for most programs to make sure you still qualify for benefits.
  • If it is turned in late, your benefits could be delayed up to 30 days, or a new interview may be necessary
  • Always include at least one month’s income for every working adult in the household (3 months if you are self-employed), and verify any reported changes
  • To complete your redetermination go to Colorado PEAK and click on Manage My Account.

How can I ask a question about my case?

  • Chat through Boulder County Connect with a specially trained technician
  • Call 303-441-1000, to speak with a specially trained phone technician
  • For Colorado Works questions, call or email your technician directly at the number they give you
  • Come in and ask to speak with our specially trained front desk technicians

Make sure to report changes by the 10th of the month following the change:

  • Income
  • Household Composition
  • Address
  • Rent/Utility Expenses
  • Dependent Care/Medical Expenses
  • Resources

You can report your changes on Boulder County Connect, Colorado PEAK or Fill out a Change Report form and turn it in with proof of your change.

To complete your redetermination go to Colorado PEAK and click on Manage My Account or upload it to Boulder County Connect or turn the packet in to the office.

Is there an app for my phone?

Answer “Yes! You must be a current Medicaid or CHP+ member to use the secure PEAKHealth app and must have an account on Want fast and easy access to your Colorado Medicaid and Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) benefits on the go? Download the PEAKHealth mobile app to find a doctor, get your member card, and more right from your phone.

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested
in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of
hotline numbers by State); found online at: SNAP Hotline.

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Contact Us

Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
TTY: 1-800-659-3656
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Location

3460 Broadway
Map & Directions

2525 13th St, Suite 204
Map & Directions
Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Longmont Location

515 Coffman Street
Map & Directions
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Housing & Human Services

Connect With Us