The Boulder County Area Agency on Aging (BCAAA) provides leadership and advocacy on issues affecting older adults and caregivers. As a part of the Federal Aging Network, we are mandated by the Older Americans Act to advocate for older adults and their family and informal caregivers. While we are mandated to advocate, our staff and network of partners, volunteers, and allies are passionate supporters of policies and legislation that support healthy aging and family and informal caregiver. Situated in Boulder County government, the BCAAA is also guided by the Board of County Commissioners Legislative Priorities and assisted by Policy & Legislative Affairs and Legislative Affairs staff.
For decades, the BCAAA has been collecting and analyzing data about the strengths and needs of older adults in Boulder County. See our data here. Understanding the challenges and opportunities of the county’s aging population is critical for elected officials, city leadership, service providers, non-profits, faith communities, and neighborhoods alike, if we are to successfully create communities in which we can all age well. We share this data with lawmakers, decision makers, partner agencies, businesses, academics, and others to help advocate for older adults and their family caregivers through the following channels:
Member of the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a)
- They have policy priorities and send out advocacy alerts.
- They also offer an annual legislative training and Hill visits, which AAA staff attend.
The Board of County Commissioners’ legislative staff also tracks federal legislation and has federal legislative priorities. The BOCC will be considering and adopting 2018 legislative priorities soon.
Member of the Colorado Association of Area Agencies on Aging (c4a):
- Network of 16 AAA’s across the state
- Grassroots advocacy efforts
- Tracks legislation impacting older adults.
- Coordinates annual Senior Day at the Capitol event each spring.
- Meets every Monday during the legislative session 9:30-11:30 in Denver. Interested citizens encouraged to attend or call in to meetings.
- Boulder County Elected Officials
- Aging Advisory Council (AAC) Public Policy/Advocacy Committee – open to members from the public. Contact: Lindsay Parsons
- City of Longmont elected officials
- City of Boulder elected officials
- City of Lafayette elected officials
- City of Louisville elected officials
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Advocacy: Older Lesbians Organizing for Change (OLOC)
- 11/3/17: Age Well Conference
- 10/5/17: AARP Affordable Housing Conference
- 9/23/17: Senior Law Day
- 7/28/2017 Healthcare Policy Presentation with the Colorado Health Institute
- 6/24/17 Longmont Pride
- 6/15/17 Elder Abuse Prevention Awards Ceremony
- 5/16/17 Caregiving Symposium
- 1/24/2017 Lafayette Senior Advisory Board Goal Setting
- 10/28/2016 Age Well Conference
- 10/18/2016 AARP Age Friendly Communities Conference
- 8/6/16 Senior Law Day
- 7/25/2016 National Association of Area Agencies on Aging Conference
- 6/25/2016 Longmont Pride Festival
- 5/19/2016 AAA Caregiver Programs
- 2/26/2016 Colorado Health Institute Presentation. How Healthy Are Our Seniors
- 1/25/2016 Community Conversations in Lyons. Summary Report