BCAAA supports and encourages all older adults in making healthy lifestyle choices. Our Healthy Aging Team is dedicated to helping you learn how to take control of your personal health and wellbeing. Learn how to manage chronic health problems like heart disease, arthritis, chronic pain and diabetes; reduce the fear of falling; eat healthier; and increase your physical activity.
Upcoming Virtual Classes
Medicare Basics Classes
Our Medicare Counseling program is offering live, virtual Medicare Basics Classes in the afternoon and evening through the end of the year. Classes provide unbiased, up-to-date information about Medicare enrollment, benefits, costs, what and how Medicare pays, choices under Medicare plans, how they work, and prescription drug coverage. There is no cost to attend, but registration is required. For more information, or to set up an appointment with a Medicare Counselor, please call 303-441-1546.
Fresh Conversations – New Program!
Fresh Conversations is an evidence-based nutrition education program, occurring the second Monday of each month, focused on timely nutrition topics. Fresh Conversations is led by our own, Patti Murphy, RDN. This program kicks off on Monday, Feb. 8 from 1-2 p.m.
Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
AAA Wellness Social Hour – New Program!
The AAA Wellness Social Hour is a platform that encourages social engagement and ongoing learning that is open to past, current and future wellness program participants. Participants can share experiences, support and continue expanding on the skills learned in the programs. New or incoming participants can connect with our community and meet the Wellness Programs team. Come join us for sharing and learning from each other! To learn more about the AAA Wellness Social Hour, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The next AAA Wellness Social Hour will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 10 from 11 a.m. to noon. Register here.
Diabetes Support and Education Group
This group is for Boulder County older adults (60+) with a diabetes diagnosis or those caring for someone with a diabetes diagnosis. The group is facilitated by a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, who is also a Certified Diabetes Educator. There is no cost to attend, but registration is required. Classes in 2021 include:
- Jan. 18 – Boosting Your Immune System for the New Year
- Feb. 22 – Balanced Eating for Diabetes
- March 15 – High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease Prevention and Management
- April 19 – Grocery Shopping and Label Reading
- May 17 – All Things Exercise
- June 21 – Fruits and Veggies: Information and Recipes
- July 19 – Recognizing and Managing Hypo- and Hyperglycemia
- Aug. 16 – Carbohydrate Counting and Glycemic Index
- Sept. 20 – Traveling and Dining Out with Diabetes
- Oct. 18 – Caring for Your Kidneys
- Nov. 15 – Enjoying the Holidays with Diabetes
- No classes in December.
Please contact 303-678-6118 (this is a voicemail box) or email email@example.com to register.
Diabetes Self-Management Program
Boulder County Area Agency on Aging is offering a virtual opportunity to access the diabetes version of the Healthier Living/Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. This class is designed for people living with diabetes. Participants will participate in weekly virtual meetings, on Tuesdays from Jan. 21 through March 4 at 1-3:30 p.m. The Jan. 21 date is an introductory session.
No-cost nutrition counseling is available from our Registered Dietitian Nutritionists. Counseling in English is available at 303-678-6115 or en español at 720-930-0223.
Maintaining the ability to live a healthy, independent life is a priority for many people. Our evidence-based wellness classes have been proven to help you develop the skills to live with on-going health conditions and challenges. Our wellness offerings include:
Falls Prevention Week | Information about Falls Prevention Week 2020 is at the bottom of this page.
A Matter of Balance | Reduce your fear of falling and increase physical activity (Espanol)
Aging Mastery | What to expect and how to manage perception and change
Diabetes Prevention Program | Lower your risk of diabetes
Healthier Living/Chronic Disease Self-Management | How to manage ongoing health conditions
Healthier Living/Diabetes Self-Management | How to better manage living with diabetes
Pain Self-Management | Learn the skills needed to manage living with chronic pain
Walk with Ease | Guided walking, stretching and basic health education sessions
What is an evidence-based program?
Eating well is vital for health, longevity, and quality of life. Getting the right nutrients and fresh, quality food is an important component in preventing or managing chronic diseases. You can easily access good local food through senior lunch programs, Meals on Wheels and other organizations, such as Community Food Share. Our nutrition program provides education, counseling and support to older adults and their caregivers to assist in them with their healthy living goals.
Our nutrition offerings include:
Diabetes Support Group | Chat with friends and peers who are living with Diabetes.
Nutrition Counseling | One-on-one guidance for building a better a diet.
Nutrition Education | On-demand presentations in the community about nutritional guidance and best practices.
Senior Dental Grant Program
We fund and coordinate access to dental care services for low-income, uninsured seniors. Contact 303-441-1617 to see if you qualify. Space in this program is very limited.
- Become a Wellness Leader | Are you looking for an opportunity to give back to your community? Wellness programs are led by community volunteers who care about older adults and are interested in helping them maintain or improve their health and well-being. Our evidence-based programs are designed to be led by community leaders. Appropriate training for each program is provided. Experience in the health care field is not required, however we do look for individuals who are comfortable talking to groups and working with older adults. For more information, contact us at 303-441-4710 or infohealthyaging@BoulderCounty.org.
- Community Engagement | Our team of experts welcomes the opportunity to meet with your staff, community group, or organization to explain and assist in accessing available wellness opportunities.