To achieve this overarching vision, the organization and staff follow some specific guiding values:
Boulder County’s Guiding Values:
Inclusion – We value, respect, and support all individuals by being an inclusive, culturally responsive county government.
- Stewardship – We honor our county’s past and work in partnership with our community to ensure a thriving, healthy quality of life for present and future generations.
- Service – We work with passion and integrity in a supportive, positive environment to ensure accountability, responsiveness, efficiency, and justice.
- Engagement – We listen to and provide opportunities for all community members to actively collaborate and engage with us in order to continually improve our services.
- Sustainability – We are committed to environmental, social, and economic sustainability and build partnerships to help make the broader community more sustainable.
- Innovation – We are motivated, progressive, and visionary. We continually challenge ourselves to lead with innovation, collaboration, and creativity.
- Resilience – We plan for the future and forge strong partnerships that allow us to adapt quickly to challenges and manage community impacts.
The Guiding Values were last updated in 2018
In addition to the values listed above, there are specific areas in which the Boulder County organization takes special care in supporting. Boulder County Commissioners, along with other elected officials and leadership in the organization have made it clear through the passing of multiple resolutions that Boulder County is an open, welcoming, and inclusive community.
- Guest Opinion by the Board on Inclusivity
- Resolution 2015-133
- Resolution 2017-26
- Creating a more inclusive and welcoming work environment
Major values and some resources connected with them are listed below.
Environmental Protection & Sustainability
Boulder County expends effort into conserving our precious natural resources and promote healthy lifestyles. Residents can learn how to adopt sustainable ways of living by recycling, composting, and commuting in ways that protect our air, land, and water, or learn how to defend yourself and your family against environmental health risks.
Immigrant Supports & Services
All community members are welcome in all county buildings. Services are available for both documented or undocumented people unless funding is federally restricted. Residents are encouraged to visit our offices and talk with staff members to determine which services will provide the best support. Boulder County has also compiled a list of resources which may be useful to all immigrants.
Boulder County has a long history of supporting LGBTQ members of the community including being the first county to administer same-sex marriage licenses, to providing day-to-day support for all LGBTQ residence from youth to seniors.
- Issuing Same Sex Marriage Licenses
- LGBTQ Resources
Regular doctor visits and healthcare coverage or important pieces to living a healthy, productive lifestyle so Boulder County works to make sure all residents are covered. Boulder County provides a wide variety of support services for finding the right healthcare coverage for each person.