NOTE: Boulder County taxes are collected by the State of Colorado. All payments of sales tax should be reported and remitted directly to the Colorado Department of Revenue on its form. There is a specific column on the form for County Sales Tax. Forms are available on the State of Colorado web site, www.colorado.gov/revenue or contact the Colorado Sales Tax Office at 303-238-7378 for handouts on rates charged in other Colorado localities.
Boulder County’s Sales and Use Tax Rate is 0.985% for 2017
The total tax rate for unincorporated areas of Boulder County is 4.985% (cumulative total of individual tax rates shown below):
- Boulder County 0.985%
- State of Colorado 2.9%
- RTD 1.0%
- Scientific Cultural District 0.1%
Boulder County imposes Use Tax in only two circumstances:
- Storing, using, or consuming in Boulder County any motor or other vehicle, purchased at retail on which a registration is required.
- This tax is collected when the vehicle is registered in Boulder County at the County Clerk’s Office.
- Building & construction materials purchased at retail.
- This tax is collected when a building permit is obtained.
- Building permits for areas in unincorporated Boulder County, Jamestown, and Ward are obtained at the county’s Land Use Department at 2045 13th Street in Boulder.
- By intergovernmental agreements, the tax is also collected by the city building departments in Boulder, Longmont, Louisville, Lafayette, Lyons, Erie, Superior, and Nederland.
Brochure & Exemption
- Sales and Use Tax Brochure
A concise guide for Boulder County merchants who collect and file sales tax.
- Worthy Cause and Boulder County Open Space Sales and Use Tax Exemption
Application for sales/use tax refund in equipment used in the generation of energy from a renewable resource.
More Tax Information
- Verify Sales Tax License or Tax Exempt Certificate
Colorado Department of Revenue site where vendors’ sales tax licenses and tax exemption certificate can be verified.
- Colorado Department of Revenue Sales Tax
Colorado Department of Revenue site with information covering all aspects of sales tax.