July 28, 2017
Boulder County Commissioners’ Decisions Regarding the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP) Update
Board of County Commissioners' Decisions Regarding the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP) Update
Board of County Commissioners Public Meeting - July 26, 2017 (final Boulder County meeting)
On July 26, the Board of County Commissioners deliberated and voted on the BVCP adoption draft (policies, text, and maps), CU South land use changes, and the Comprehensive Development Plan Intergovernmental Agreement (including plan amendment procedures) with the City of Boulder. View the video of the meeting.
The Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) approved a renewed Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) with the City of Boulder. The version approved by the BOCC included a set of amendment procedures that would allow for both BOCC and Planning Commission involvement (along with City Council and Planning Board) in final approval of conversion of the Area III Planning Reserve to Area II, a necessary approval step to enable that currently rural North Boulder land to be annexed and developed at urban densities.
The BOCC also approved land use designation changes and guiding principles for CU South. In addition, they supported and built upon a formal recommendation by Planning Commission calling for the city to work with county staff to ensure best practices are employed to achieve the best flood mitigation outcomes for the community.
Finally, the BOCC approved the updated Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan policy, text and maps. They were the last of the four decision making bodies to do so. However, given conditions on City Council’s approval of the IGA, and given the BOCC’s approval of a different version of the amendment procedures than were approved by council, the IGA will need to go back to City Council for approval in the same form approved by the BOCC.
The following motions and recommendation were approved by the BOCC on July 26, 2017:
CU South land use changes:
- A motion to approve (a) the land use designation for CU South, changing from Low and Medium Density Residential (LR and MR) and portions of Open Space-Other (OS-O) to Public (P) and Parks, Urban, and Other (PK-U/O) and retaining portions of OS-O and (b) to approve the Guiding Principles, as set forth in Attachment A of the July 26, 2017 Board of County Commissioners’ Staff Report. This motion passed unanimously.
- BOCC carried forward the following recommendation from Planning Commission: A motion to recommend that the city to work with county staff in developing best practices that go above and beyond federal and state standards to reduce risk to life, health and economic impacts downstream from the proposed flood mitigation given the continued risk from climate change. BOCC added the following to the recommendation: Ensure the mitigation facility is designed at a minimum in accordance with State Engineer’s Rules and Regulations for Dam Safety and Dam Construction. For this flood mitigation project, the design rules may require the maximum probable flood criterion (MPF) to help protect the dam from a catastrophic failure. This motion passed unanimously.
2017 BVCP Adoption Draft:
- A motion to approve the 2015 Update to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan as set forth in the June 15, 2017 BVCP Adoption Draft (Attachment C of the July 26, 2017 Board of County Commissioners’ Staff Report) with minor amendments from the Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission (Attachment B of the July 26, 2017 Board of County Commissioners’ Staff Report) and amendments to the Policy 1.05 and the definition of Parks, Urban and Other (PK-U) (Attachment A of the July 26, 2017 Board of County Commissioners’ Staff Report). This motion passed unanimously.
IGA and Amendment Procedures:
- A motion to approve the Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between the City of Boulder and Boulder County titled “Boulder Valley Comprehensive Development Plan Intergovernmental Agreement,” including the revised BVCP Amendment Procedures as set forth in Attachment E [of the July 26, 2017 Board of County Commissioners’ Staff Report (version reflecting Planning Commission’s recommendation for Area III Planning Reserve)]. This motion passed unanimously.
- Staff report to Board of County Commissioners for July 26, 2017
- Board of County Commissioners meeting agenda for July 26, 2017
Boulder County Planning Commission Decisions:
Full details can be found at: Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Update BVCP-15-0001