June 19, 2017
Reminder: Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners to hold Joint Public Hearing – Wednesday, June 28
Reminder: Boulder County Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners to Hold Joint Public Hearing – Wednesday, June 28
RE: Approval of the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Major Update
On June 28, 2017, the Boulder County Planning Commission (PC) and the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) will hold a joint public hearing related to approval of matters pertaining to Boulder County in the 2015 Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Major Update (Docket BVCP-15-0001) including policies, text, and maps, and proposed CU South land use map changes. The scope of the hearing will also include renewal of the Comprehensive Development Plan IGA between Boulder County and the City of Boulder (Docket IGA-17-0001). Deliberation and decision making will not occur at the hearing.
The June 28 hearing will take place at the Boulder County Courthouse, 1325 Pearl Street, Boulder beginning at 1 p.m. The hearing will begin with staff presentations, followed by staff answering clarifying questions for the Planning Commission and BOCC. Public testimony will follow. The estimated start time of the public testimony period is approximately 2:30 p.m.
The June 28 hearing will be live-streamed via the Public Meetings, Hearings, Records & Video Archives webpage. (direct link: http://bouldercountyco.suiteonemedia.com/web/home.aspx)
Planning Commission’s decision meeting regarding BVCP-15-0001 will take place on Wednesday, July 19 at 1:30 p.m. and the BOCC’s decision meeting regarding BVCP-15-0001 and IGA-17-0001 will take place on Wednesday, July 26 at 4 p.m.
The Planning Commission and BOCC will accept both written and oral testimony. Those who would like to speak in-person at the hearing can sign-up online for a time slot beginning after 1 p.m. on Wednesday, June 21 on the BVCP-15-0001 webpage.†
Key Dates Related to County Hearing and Decision Making
- Monday, June 19 (11:59 p.m.): Deadline for submitting written comments for inclusion in the staff report for June 28 hearing. Written comments may be submitted through the public comment form on the BVCP-15-0001 website.
- Comments received after June 19 and up to the end of the June 28 hearing will also be added to the public record and made available to Planning Commission and BOCC, including comments referencing the staff packet posted on June 21. We recommend submitting comment through the online comment form in order for Planning Commission and the BOCC to have the ability to review comments in real-time.
- Wednesday, June 21 (after 1 p.m.): Launch of online speaker sign-up on the BVCP-15-0001 webpage. (online speaker sign up will close at the start of the hearing). In-person sign-up for speaking slots will be available at the hearing, but note that those speaking times will start after the end of the speaking times established through online registration.
- Wednesday, June 21 (by end of day): Posting of staff packet for the June 28 hearing.
- June 27 (after 1 p.m.): Posting of speaker order and estimated speaking times.
- June 28 (1 p.m.): Planning Commission and BOCC Joint Public Hearing.
- Following staff presentations and clarifying questions from Planning Commission and the BOCC (starting at 1 p.m.), the estimated start time of the public comment period is approximately 2:30 p.m. We sincerely value everyone’s time and try to project the timing of hearing process as accurately as possible. Please be aware that while the public comment period is estimated to begin at 2:30 p.m., it will depend on the time it takes for staff to address clarifying questions from Planning Commission and the BOCC. Thus, the comment period may begin earlier or later than 2:30 p.m.
- July 19 (1:30 p.m.): Planning Commission Decision. The Planning Commission is scheduled to deliberate and vote on the BVCP adoption draft (policies, text, and maps) and CU South land use change, and will give feedback to the BOCC on the amendment procedures.
- July 26 (4 p.m.): BOCC Decision. The BOCC is scheduled to deliberate and vote on the BVCP adoption draft (policies, text, and maps), CU South land use change, and IGA/amendment procedures.
June 28 Speaking Times and Online Speaker Signup
Speaking times for members of the public:
- 2 min for 1 person
- 4 min for 2 people pooling*
- 5 min for 3 people pooling*
*Note: Those pooling time will need to be present at the hearing when the designated speaker is called.
Online speaker signup
†Online sign-up for speaking times at the hearing will be available starting just after 1 p.m. on June 21 through the start of the hearing on June 28. Online sign-up will be available via the BVCP-15-0001 docket webpage at www.bit.ly/bvcp150001. In-person signup for speaking slots will also be available at the hearing, but note that those speaking times will start after the end of the speaking times established through online registration.
Online speaker registrations are automatically time stamped upon receipt. Those time stamps will determine speaking times. To avoid any potential concerns regarding impartial treatment no changes will be made to speaker lists following the online registration process. Therefore, we ask that you plan ahead and pay close attention to the options when registering for a speaking time online (e.g. who the designated speaker will be, and whether you are signing up as an individual or to pool time with one or two others).
The speaker order and estimated speaking times will be posted after 1 p.m. on June 27. Note that speaking times are estimates only and are subject to change. For example, if a speaker is not present, the chair will call on the next speaker on the list, even if it is prior to their estimated speaking time. The chair will make an effort to ensure that earlier scheduled speakers who were not present when their name was called are offered another chance to speak later in the meeting. However, it is the speaker’s responsibility to monitor the progress of the meeting and be present when their name is called.
Written Public Comments
The official channel for submitting comments for the BVCP Update process is the online comment form accessible on the BVCP-15-0001 docket webpage at www.bit.ly/bvcp150001. Staff will continue to compile and post any comments submitted by email, regular mail or dropped off at the office.
However, the best way to ensure that a comment is easily accessible to county decision makers is to submit using the online form. All comments submitted previously, as well as new comments will be accessible at the BVCP-15-0001 docket webpage. The deadline for submitting comments for inclusion in the staff report for the hearing is Monday, June 19 at 11:59 p.m. Public comments will be accepted after the June 19 deadline, but they will not be included in the staff report for June 28.
See the county’s BVCP-15-0001 docket webpage for additional information: https://www.bouldercounty.org/property-and-land/land-use/planning/bvcp-2015-boulder-valley-comprehensive-plan-update/.