Boulder County Parks & Open Space will host a juried en plein air art exhibit from Nov. 12 through Dec. 30 at the Great Frame Up Longmont. En plein air art is the act of creating art from observation in the outdoors.
Call For Entries: 2021 Art Exhibit
Boulder County is accepting entries for the 2021 art exhibit. The exhibit will run Nov. 12 through Dec. 30 at the Great Frame Up Longmont.
- Entries must feature Boulder County Parks & Open Space properties. Entries of other open space areas such as Chautauqua Park, Boulder Falls, and Rocky Mountain National Park will not be accepted.
- Entries can be created at any point in time. Unlike other shows, entries do not need to be created during a specific time period.
- Any entry that has already been featured in a previous Boulder County en plein air exhibit is not eligible.
- Allowed media include oil, watercolor, acrylic, ink, pastel, pencil, and 3D media such as cloth, wood, and clay.
- Cash prizes will be awarded.
- Anyone may submit up to four pieces for a $30 entry fee.
- The deadline for submissions is Aug. 25.
- Rules & Guidelines
In 2011, the department hosted its first art exhibit to feature county-owned open space. Since then, Parks & Open Space has held five en plein air exhibits, four photography exhibits, and two woodworking exhibits.
To celebrate this anniversary, a special Best in Show prize will be awarded in the name of Ron Stewart. Ron served as the Parks & Open Space director from 1999 to 2016 and was instrumental in the creation of the county open space program. With the inaugural exhibit in 2011 and subsequent ones, Ron supported celebrating treasured county resources and local artists.