Boulder County is in the information gathering stage to understand issues the agricultural community is experiencing in Boulder County. Some members of the agricultural community have expressed concerns to county staff about challenges posed by existing regulations.
A team of staff from Boulder County Land Use, Public Health, Parks & Open Space, and CSU Extension would like to hear from the community regarding the how the current Land Use Code and other regulations affect agricultural operations.
Public input about what is working well and what could be improved will be used to update Land Use code and Boulder County staff priorities.
Staff is looking for responses to the following types of questions:
- What issues are you running into which impact your agricultural operations and where the county may be able to play a role? What could make it better?
- What are some specific conflicts or confusion you have with county regulations (Land Use Code, Building Code, Public Health)?
- If you lease Parks & Open Space land for agricultural production, are there issues regarding requirements or limits that make it difficult to farm effectively?
While we are accepting comments on a variety of issues specific to agricultural operations in Boulder County, the intent of the project is to identify current priorities for Land Use Code updates and related regulations and programs. Often, the challenges facing the agriculture community are complicated and are related to regulations in multiple county departments.
The use of genetically engineered (GE) herbicide-resistant crops on county-owned open space agricultural land is a separate topic not related to the Land Use Code and therefore not part of this process. Please visit the Cropland Policy page for more information.
How To Participate
Input can be provided via the form below. Your feedback (view survey responses) posted on the form will allow other community members to see it and respond. Staff is also happy to meet in person or speak over the phone. Contact information is available below.
Staff is currently reviewing and summarizing comments received through Jan. 12, and will discuss these comments during the Jan. 18 open house. Additional comments will be accepted throughout the Agricultural Outreach process and incorporated as the process continues.
Please join us at an open house on Jan. 18 to learn more about the project, provide additional input, review the feedback received, and discuss the current Boulder County Land Use Code.
Date: Thursday, Jan. 18
- 5:30-6:10 p.m. – Informal introduction, opportunity to review materials, make comments, and speak with staff
- 6:15-7 p.m. – Facilitated group discussion
- 7-7:30 p.m.– Additional time to talk with staff or others in the room and to make comments on information boards
Location: Ron Stewart Parks & Open Space Administration Building, 5201 St. Vrain Road, Longmont
County staff is available to discuss this project with interested parties and answer questions:
- Amy Oeth, Boulder County Land Use, 720-564-2623
- Jeff Moline, Boulder County Parks & Open Space, 303-678-6270
- Adrian Card, CSU Extension, 303-678-6383
Boulder County staff will review comments and identify potential updates to the Land Use Code and other county programs based on concerns from the community and agricultural producers.
For more information, or if you have questions on planning in Boulder County, please call 303-441-3930 or email using the Ask a Planner form.