Due to COVID-19, the Community Planning & Permitting Department is conducting business and providing services virtually. Our physical office in Boulder is currently CLOSED to the public.
Boulder County Building Code Amendments
Boulder County Building Code
The Boulder County Building Code Amendments are adopted by the Board of County Commissioners. The Building Code Amendments apply to construction on properties located in the unincorporated portions of Boulder County (outside of the cities and towns).
Boulder County has updated the Building Codes to the latest 2015 editions. The current code is effective in unincorporated Boulder County for all building permit applications received on or after January 1, 2017.
- Current 2015 Building Code Amendments (for building permits applied for on or after January 1, 2017)
- For building permits applied for in 2016, see the past 2015 Building Code Amendments
The following publications shall hereby be adopted as the Boulder County Building Code by reference, with deletions and amendments as indicated:
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL BUILDING CODE (the “IBC”), including specifically Appendix Chapters C, I, J and K;
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE (the “IRC”), including specifically Appendix Chapters E, F, H, R and S;
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL EXISTING BUILDING CODE (the “IEBC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL MECHANICAL CODE (the “IMC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE (the “IPC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL FUEL GAS CODE (the “IFGC”);
- CURRENT VERSION ADOPTED BY THE COLORADO STATE ELECTRICAL BOARD OF THE NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE (the “NEC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL ENERGY CONSERVATION CODE (the “IECC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL GREEN CONSTRUCTION CODE (the “IgCC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL PERFORMANCE CODE (the “ICCPC”); and the
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING POOL AND SPA CODE (the “ISPSC”);
all, except the NEC, as published by the International Code Council (ICC), 4051 West Flossmoor Road, Country Club Hills, IL 60478-5795; and the NEC, as published by the National Fire Protection Association, One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169-7471; with additions, deletions and amendments as per the Boulder County Building Code Amendments.
Past Building Codes
- 2012 Boulder County Building Code Amendments (for building permits applied for from January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2015)
- 2009 Boulder County Building Code Amendments (for building permits applied for from January 1, 2011 – December 31, 2013)
Previous versions of the Boulder County Building Code Amendments are available as reference for all building permits issued prior to the current amendments. Please contact Building Safety and Inspection Services for a copy of older Amendments.
Sign up to receive email or text updates from Boulder County about the Boulder County Building Code Amendments. You can unsubscribe from the list at any time.