The Community Planning & Permitting Department physical office in Boulder is open Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. On Tuesdays the department is open by appointment only from 12:30–4:30 p.m. Most services are also available virtually. Staff is available at 303-441-3930, online, or via appointment.
Boulder County Building Code Amendments
Boulder County updates building regulations to better protect against future wildfires, effective June 6, 2022
At a public hearing on May 12, the Boulder County Commissioners approved an update to the ignition-resistant requirements for construction in Wildfire Zone 2, which comprises the Eastern area of unincorporated Boulder County (view Wildfire Zones map). The update was prompted by recent wildfires, including the Marshall Fire. The approved changes guide the use of approved exterior materials and construction details for inclusion into the Boulder County Building Code Amendments to the currently adopted 2015 International Codes. The updates to the code are in effect for unincorporated Boulder County building permits applied for on or after June 6, 2022. Read more>>>
Boulder County Building Code
The Boulder County Building Code Amendments are adopted by the Board of County Commissioners. The Building Code Amendments apply to construction on properties located in the unincorporated portions of Boulder County (outside of the cities and towns). The current code is effective in unincorporated Boulder County for all building permit applications received on or after June 6, 2022.
- Current 2015 Building Code Amendments (for building permits applied for on or after June 6, 2022)
- For building permits applied for from 2017 through June 5, 2022, see the Building Code Amendments in effect Jan. 1 2017 through June 5, 2022
- For building permits applied for in 2016, see the past 2015 Building Code Amendments
The following publications shall hereby be adopted as the Boulder County Building Code by reference, with deletions and amendments as indicated:
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL BUILDING CODE (the “IBC”), including specifically Appendix Chapters C, I, J and K;
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL RESIDENTIAL CODE (the “IRC”), including specifically Appendix Chapters E, F, H, R and S;
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL EXISTING BUILDING CODE (the “IEBC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL MECHANICAL CODE (the “IMC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE (the “IPC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL FUEL GAS CODE (the “IFGC”);
- CURRENT VERSION ADOPTED BY THE COLORADO STATE ELECTRICAL BOARD OF THE NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE (the “NEC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL ENERGY CONSERVATION CODE (the “IECC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL GREEN CONSTRUCTION CODE (the “IGCC”);
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL CODE COUNCIL PERFORMANCE CODE (the “ICCPC”); and the
- 2015 INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING POOL AND SPA CODE (the “ISPSC”);
all, except the NEC, as published by the International Code Council (ICC), 4051 West Flossmoor Road, Country Club Hills, IL 60478-5795; and the NEC, as published by the National Fire Protection Association, One Batterymarch Park, Quincy, MA 02169-7471; with additions, deletions and amendments as per the Boulder County Building Code Amendments.
Past Building Codes
- 2012 Boulder County Building Code Amendments (for building permits applied for from January 1, 2013 – December 31, 2015)
- 2009 Boulder County Building Code Amendments (for building permits applied for from January 1, 2011 – December 31, 2013)
Previous versions of the Boulder County Building Code Amendments are available as reference for all building permits issued prior to the current amendments. Please contact Building Safety and Inspection Services for a copy of older Amendments.
Sign up to receive email or text updates from Boulder County about the Boulder County Building Code Amendments. You can unsubscribe from the list at any time.