Inspection Coordination & Scheduling During COVID-19 Public Health Precautions
Inspection Requests (except Roofing Inspections)
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, not all inspections will be able to be performed onsite and may require an alternative inspection approach. Generally, we can perform onsite inspections that are outdoors or are in spaces that are physically isolated from occupied spaces (and have direct access from the exterior without passing through occupied spaces). All inspection requests placed with our Automated Inspection Scheduling System are being reviewed by Inspection Staff and we will reach out to the contact person listed to discuss the inspection process and determine if it can be completed onsite or if it requires a virtual inspection.
All Inspections inside occupied homes will require virtual inspections or postponement until COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted. In special circumstances alternative arrangements may be possible (please contact us to discuss this further).
All inspection requests must be received through the automated inspection scheduling system before 3:30 p.m. (Monday through Thursday) in order to be eligible for the following business day scheduling. All requests received after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays, or during weekends, will be put in the queue for inspection requests for the following business day. Although every effort will be made, next day inspections are not guaranteed and the time of the inspection cannot be guaranteed.
Boulder County Building Inspectors no longer perform onsite roof inspections. All roofing inspections are now done through photo documentation provided to us by the roofing contractor or property owner. Photos of the roof installation should be submitted using this online roofing inspection request form.
After receipt of the roofing photos, the Boulder County Building Inspection Team will review the photos within 24 hours and inspection results will then be available on the building permit records page.
Pre-Rough Wildfire Inspections
All pre-rough wildfire inspections must be scheduled directly with your Wildfire Mitigation Coordinator:
Transportation Access Inspection Requests
For Final Transportation Access inspections, please schedule inspection code #82 by noon Thursday to be placed on the list of inspections to occur the following week. The Transportation Planning staff will reach out to the contact person to discuss the inspection and give a date and time of the inspection.
Scheduled inspections must be ready on the day requested, or a re-inspection fee may be charged. The re-inspection fee must be paid before re-scheduling. If you find that you will not be ready for a scheduled inspection, please call to cancel the inspection using the automated phone system. Inspections cannot be cancelled the day of the inspection using the automated phone system, so to cancel the day of the inspection please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 9 a.m. the day of the inspection.
All required inspections must be performed by Building Safety & Inspection Services with the exceptions of caisson, footing, and foundation wall inspections, as well as structural framing. These inspections may be performed by a qualified, state-licensed engineer.
Engineer inspections require an original signed and sealed inspection report submitted to the Boulder County Building Safety & Inspection Services office by email to email@example.com prior to the rough inspections.
Please check the back of your permit card for all required conditions for your project prior to scheduling inspection.
Scheduling an Inspection
To Schedule an Inspection: Call 303-441-3925, then Press “1”
The permit number and inspection code are required to schedule inspections. The permit number can be found on the top righthand corner of the permit card and begins with “BP.” The inspection codes can be found on the inspection card, as well as on the back of this publication. Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate requests for specific inspection times.
To Find Out the Time of Your Inspection: Call 303-441-3925, then press “2”
This information is updated at 9 a.m. on the day of your inspection. Please note that the time designation is approximate and is subject to change due to circumstances that may cause Inspectors to fall behind or get ahead of schedule. If this happens, we will make every effort to contact you. View the inspection list
To Cancel or Reschedule an Inspection: Call 303-441-3925, then press “3”
Inspections cannot be canceled through this option the day of the inspection, so to cancel an inspection the day of the inspection, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel.
To Obtain Inspection Results: Call 303-441-3925, then press “4”
Search and view Inspection Results online at www.boco.org/BuildingPermitRecords
Inspection Reports & Surveys
During the scope of your construction project, it may be necessary to provide inspection reports to the Building Safety & Inspection Services Team. These may include: Height surveys, setback surveys, engineered caisson, footing, or foundation inspection reports, fire sprinkler inspection reports, energy rater reports, and manuals J and D. To assure prompt approval of these letters and reports, and to avoid delays in scheduling inspections please follow these steps:
- Do not wait until the day that you want to schedule the inspection to submit your letters or reports. These reports must be reviewed and approved by a variety of staff members who may not be available to review them immediately. Frequently the inspection cannot be scheduled without the approval of the report or letter; therefore, all reports and surveys must be submitted 24-hours prior to calling for your inspection. Please email reports and surveys to email@example.com.
- Read the conditions and comments on the building permit card. These pages contain remarks and instructions for what surveys and reports will be required and when they need to be submitted to the Boulder County Building Division in order to schedule inspections.
- Do not leave the letters on the jobsite for the Building Inspector. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, the Building Inspector will not take the letters or reports and will not be able to approve these letters or reports at time of inspection. They should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for the appropriate staff member to review prior to inspection.
- Engineers who conduct inspections must include a statement in their report that indicates that the work was installed in compliance with the approved plans issued by Boulder County at the time the inspection was conducted.
- When applicable, placement of the concrete encased electrode must be inspected by Boulder County, or the Engineer of Record. A Verification Letter is required.