Upcoming Public Meetings
Meetings will be posted as scheduled. Please visit the city’s website for additional BVCP city meetings.
Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee (POSAC) Meeting – April 27, 2017
POSAC will review site suitability analysis and issues related to open space values for the portion of the University of Colorado Boulder’s (CU) South Campus property (“CU South”) currently designated as “Open Space – Other” (OS-O). This discussion follows a study session with the City of Boulder Planning Board on April 6, a study session with City Council on April 11, and a discussion and recommendation with the city’s Open Space Board of Trustee’s (OSBT) on April 12. In accordance with the BVCP, POSAC and OSBT have a responsibility to review changes to the comprehensive plan that affect an area designated as Open Space. Staff welcomes input from POSAC to inform land use designation changes for the property as part of the BVCP Major Update. View the POSAC meeting agenda for April 27, 2017.
Action Requested: Information Only (No public comments will be taken)
Date: Thursday, April 27, 2017
Time: 6 p.m.
Place: Commissioners’ Hearing Room, 3rd Floor, Boulder County Courthouse, 1325 Pearl Street, Boulder
Study Session – Board of County Commissioners & Boulder County Planning Commission – April 19, 2017
A study session with the County Commissioners and Planning Commission was held to provide input on the BVCP Draft Plan and key policy areas.
Open Office Hours for BVCP and Inclusionary Housing – April 5 and 13, 2017
Open office hours were offered to provide opportunities for community members to receive information and provide specific feedback on multiple projects related to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP) Update and Inclusionary Housing program. These informal drop-in events offered the chance learn more and provide specific feedback one-on-one with city and county staff.
More information about these topics:
- BVCP – The 2015 update to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan is nearing completion. Proposed changes reflect community input and preferences on a wide range of policy areas including: housing affordability and diversity, managed growth – future jobs and housing, resilience, subcommunity and area planning, and more. Community members are encouraged to provide feedback on the draft plan through April 21. Adoption hearings are scheduled starting in May. For more information, visit www.bouldervalleycompplan.net to view the draft plan and access the online feedback form.
- Inclusionary Housing – The city’s inclusionary housing program has demonstrated considerable success since 2000, but new challenges are prompting an update to the program. The city is considering adding a middle income requirement, incentivizing more on-site affordable development, and other minor changes. City staff are requesting feedback these initial concepts from the community. For more information, visit www.HousingBoulder.net to view the March 21 City Council Study Session materials.
Study Session – Board of County Commissioners – April 5, 2017
The Board of County Commissioners held a study session to for topics related to the renewal of the Comprehensive Development Plan Intergovernmental Agreement (IGA) between the City of Boulder and Boulder County, which is scheduled to expire on Dec. 31, 2017.
Open House – April 3, 2017
An open house provided opportunities for community members to receive information and provide specific feedback on multiple projects related to the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP) Update and the city’s Inclusionary Housing program. Information on the following items was available at this open house:
- Draft Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan – After more than two years of community dialogue, the initial draft of the update to the Comp Plan is now complete. Following input from community members and at study sessions in April, staff will prepare a revised draft plan for adoption. City and county bodies are scheduled to adopt the plan update this summer.
- 3303 Broadway – Share your thoughts about a staff recommendation for land use changes for 3303, 3345, 3505 – 3517 Broadway and 1160 – 1194 Juniper Ave.
- Inclusionary Housing Program – Learn how the current program works and share your thoughts about potential updates aimed at increasing affordable housing in Boulder.
- CU South – Learn more about the CU South project, including an updated suitability analysis. Provide input about potential future uses and guidelines for the property’s future. City staff will also be available to answer questions about the South Boulder Creek Flood Mitigation Study as it relates to the CU property.
Board of County Commissioners Public Meeting – February 23, 2017
- 3261 3rd Street land use designation changes under consideration. The BOCC reconsidered its Sep. 27, 2016 decision regarding the land use designation of this property (Land Use Change Request #25). The item has been presented for reconsideration due to a change in circumstances related to the location of the Blue Line. The Board of County Commissioners approved the changes to 3261 3rd Street.
- Additional policy updates and updates on other BVCP topics. Staff provided additional information on BVCP policy updates under consideration. Action requested: None. Study session only.
Planning Commission Public Meeting – February 15, 2017
- A study session was held on the key policy choices related to land use and jobs-housing balance. Staff provided background and updates on recent analysis on scenarios, results from a second survey, directions toward land use changes, and city decision-makers’ input on housing and land use policy alternatives.
- Planning Commission reconsidered its previous land use and area map change decision for 3261 3rd Street (Request #25) due to a change in circumstances related to the location of the blue line. Planning Commission voted (9-0) to approve the staff-recommended map changes.
- Planning Commission reconsidered its September 21, 2016 decision to change the land use map designation for the parcels at 6655 Twin Lakes Road, 6500 Twin Lakes Road, and 0 Kalua Road (Requests # 35 and #36). Planning Commission voted (5-4) to not change the current land use designations.
Board of County Commissioners Public Meeting – January 31, 2017
- 3261 3rd Street land use map change, decision to reconsider. BOCC made a determination of whether to reconsider a previous land use designation change decision for this property due to a change in circumstances related to the location of the blue line (Land Use Change Request #29). The Board voted 3-0 to reconsider.
- Key policy choices related to land use and jobs-housing balance. Staff provided background and updates on recent analysis on scenarios, results from a second survey, directions toward land use changes, and city decision-makers’ input on housing and land use policy alternatives.Study session only.
- CU South site suitability. Staff provided background on recent site suitability studies and exploration of appropriate land use for the property and issues to address.Study session only.
Planning Commission Public Meeting – January 18, 2017
Land Use Change Requests – Reconsideration of the Twin Lakes Decision
Planning Commission took input on the Sept. 21, 2016 decision to change the land use map designation for the parcels at 6655 Twin Lakes Road, 6500 Twin Lakes Road, and 0 Kahlua Road (Requests # 35 and #36). Staff presented an addendum to the original August 30 staff recommendation. The focus of discussion was requested to be new information that may inform Planning Commission’s decision. Specifically, Planning Commissioners expressed interest in the following topics: appropriate width and location of a wildlife corridor; infrastructure and services available in the area, and how the city and county would address potential impacts of development; considerations related to land use designation categories, and options that would result in housing density in between the existing low and medium density residential categories. Public testimony was taken.
Action requested: None. Public hearing only. Decision to be held at the Feb. 15, 2017 Planning Commission meeting.
Planning Commission Public Meeting – December 21, 2016
Public Meeting – Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan General Updates
Staff reviewed the latest schedule and provided general status updates for the2015 Major Update. In particular, staff presented information and field questions related to: Planning Commission reconsideration schedule for the Twin Lakes parcels, CU South Land Use change deliberation schedule and status, Trails Map and related policy discussion, the status of the second community survey, and job and housing balance scenarios which are the focus of community forums taking place through early 2017. Public testimony was not taken.
Public Hearing – Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Policy Updates
Staff continued the November discussion of BVCP policy updates, with a focus on sections 4 (Energy and Climate), 5 (Economy), and 6 (Transportation). Staff provided an update on Section 7 (Housing), as well as sections discussed at the November Planning Commission meeting. Planning Commission held discussion and provided feedback following public testimony.
Planning Commission Public Hearing – November 16, 2016
Staff reviewed the policy update process underway as part of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Five Year Major Update, and highlighted key items proposed for revision. Direction and feedback from PC was requested and taken. Public testimony was taken. Docket BVCP-15-0001 was agenda item #4.
Planning Commission Public Meeting – October 19, 2016
Staff reviewed the policy update process underway as part of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Five Year Major Update, Planning Commission members had the opportunity to ask questions of staff, discuss topics of interest, and provide recommendations for changes to the current proposed policy updates. Discussion item only. No public testimony was taken.
Board of County Commissioners Public Meeting – September 27, 2016
Deliberation and decisions by the Board of County Commissioners took place on Tuesday, September 27, at 3:30 p.m. No further public testimony was taken.
Planning Commission Public Meeting- September 21, 2016
Deliberation and decisions by the Planning Commission took place on Wednesday, September 21, 2016. at 1:30 p.m. No further public testimony was taken.
Joint Planning Commission, Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing – August 30 , 2016
Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission Public Hearing On August 30, 2016, a joint Public Hearing of the Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission was held to consider staff recommendations and public comment related to three Land Use Change Requests in Area II and III of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan.
Twin Lakes Stakeholder Group
Two alternative proposals for changing the land use designation of parcels located on Twin Lakes Road in Gunbarrel were part of the Twin Lakes Stakeholder Group facilitated discussion process, which met seven times from April-July 2016. The facilitation process brought together three parties: the Twin Lakes Action Group, the Boulder County Housing Authority and the Boulder Valley School District.
Objectives of the discussions, per a Boulder City Council motion, were to: 1) jointly recommend areas of expertise and the selection of experts to inform the desired land use patterns for the area, 2) jointly recommend the appropriate range of potential housing units for the parcels, with consideration to intensity and community benefit, and 3) ultimately recommend a timeline for formulating a set of guiding principles to inform next steps.
Planning Commission Study Session Public Meeting – June 15, 2016
Staff provided an update to the Boulder County Planning Commission in a public meeting study session on June 15, 2016, on the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan Major Five Year Update – Phase 3 activities and next steps.
View BVCP-15-0001: Staff report to Planning Commission for June 15, 2016.
Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners joint Public Hearing and Board of County Commissioners Public Meeting – January 26, 2016
The Boulder County Planning Commission and County Commissioners met in a public hearing joint session on January 26, 2016, to hear change requests and staff’s recommendations. Public testimony was taken, followed by Planning Commission deliberation and motions/votes.
The joint hearing was webstreamed and archived (select Event Bookmark 27), and the audio file of the Planning Commission deliberation is available as an MP3 file. On January 27, 2016, the Board of County Commissioners held deliberation and took motions/votes in a public meeting. The public meeting was webstreamed and archived.
BVCP-15-0001 Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners Decisions – January 26 and 27, 2016
BVCP-15-0001: Planning Commission and Board of County Commissioners Decisions – January 26 and 27, 2016
Note: Items not voted-on by Planning Commission or BOCC did not move forward for further study.
Planning Commission/Planning Board Joint Study Session – September 17, 2015
On September 17, 2015, a joint study session was held to provide an update to the City Planning Board and the County Planning Commission on the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan update work to date and receive feedback on the foundations work (i.e., Trends Report, baseline data, projections, fact sheets, and mapping); the Land Use Request process; the August 31st Community Conversation and Kickoff at Chautauqua; the revised focused topics for the plan update; and next steps. The joint meeting also provided an opportunity for the two boards to converse together about the BVCP update. This meeting was a discussion item, no action was requested. Public testimony was not taken.
Planning Commission/Planning Board Joint Study Session agenda for September 17, 2015
Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing – August 4, 2015
On August 4, 2015, the Board of County Commissioners were presented an update on the community kickoff, trends report, proposed survey, other foundations work, and upcoming events related to this Five Year Update. No action requested.
Staff report to Board of County Commissioners, August 4, 2015
Planning Commission Public Meeting – July 15, 2015
On July 15, 2015, the Planning Commission held a study session to provide an update on the community kickoff, trends report, proposed survey, other foundations work, and upcoming events related to this Five Year Update. This was a discussion item, no action was requested, and public testimony was not taken.
Board of County Commissioners Study Session – April 30, 2015
On April 30, 2015, the Board of County Commissioners held a study session on the public engagement plan and BVCP Update foundational elements with the City of Boulder Community Development & Sustainability Department and the Boulder County Land Use Department. View the study session (select event bookmark 11).
Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan 2015 Major Five Year Update, Staff Report for April 30, 2015
Boulder County Planning Commission and City Of Boulder Planning Board Joint Meeting – April 16, 2015
On April 16, 2015, a public meeting was held on Community Engagement Plan, Work Plan, and Update on Foundations Work. The purpose of this joint study session was to provide an update to the City Planning Board and the County Planning Commission on the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan (BVCP) work to date and receive feedback on the overall work plan with emphasis on foundations work; the Community Engagement Plan ideas; and preliminary ideas and issues to address in the BVCP update. The joint meeting also provided an opportunity for the two boards to converse together in the early stages of the 2015 update. This was a discussion item, no action requested. Public testimony was not taken. The meeting was broadcast live on Boulder Channel 8 and streamed on BoulderChannel8.com. View the recorded meeting on the City of Boulder website.
Board of County Commissioners and Planning Commission Joint Study Session – November 3, 2014
On November 3, 2014, a joint study session was held to provide an opportunity for Planning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners to jointly review and discuss the 2015 Major Five Year Update of the Boulder Valley Comprehensive Plan, and to provide feedback to the City’s consultant regarding potential process and scope for the Update. Assessment and Options for Scope of Work Presentation by Clarion Associates, consultant for the city, on the Scope of Work assignment which includes deliverables covering:
- Summary of current BVCP status, history, and policy directions
- Best practices for comprehensive plans
- Key themes from community, staff, and leadership input
- Analysis of current plan strengths and weaknesses