Restaurant & Vendor Licensing Fees

Restaurant & Vendor Licensing Fees

Plan Review Application

Plan review fees are collected upon submission.

Please note that these fees are effective as of July 31, 2018.

Plan ReviewApplication FeeDue Date
New Food Service Facility or Remodeling Existing Food Facility Mobile Unit Plan Review$680Payable with application
Mobile Unit Plan Review$650Payable with application
Special Event Plan Review$420Payable with application
Change of Owner or New Business at Currently Licensed Facility$330Payable with application

Licensing Fees

Please note that retail food establishments licensed after August 31st, 2018 will pay 2019 license fees.

Licensing Category2017 Fee2018 Fee2019 Fee
Restaurant 0-100 seats$330$360$385
Restaurant 101-200 seats$370$400$430
Restaurant over 200 seats$405$435$465
Grocery Stores with Deli up to 15,000 sq. ft.$325$350$375
Grocery Stores with Deli over 15,000 sq. ft.$620$665$715
Grocery Store without Deli up to 15,000 sq. ft.$170$183$195
Grocery Store without Deli over 15,000 sq. ft.$305$330$353
Limited Retail Food Service$235$253$270
Mobile unit (prepackaged potentially hazardous food)$235$253$270
Mobile Unit, Full Service$330$360$385
Oil and Gas$740$800$850
Temporary Events$330
Special Events$330

Printable version of license fees

If you are a sole proprietor, you must verify lawful presence in the U.S.

Colorado Retail Food Service License

The application and fee are collected at the retail food facility during the opening inspection. The license is renewable annually and is valid from January 1 through December 31. These fees are not prorated and are non-transferable. A separate license is required for each facility/unit.


If purchasing or remodeling an existing retail food establishment, the owner may be required to bring the facility up to current codes. If a remodel is planned, a food facility plan review will be required.

Plan review packets may be obtained at Boulder County Public Health (BCPH) office or you may download them:

Additional Licensing to Consider

Business License

Contact the local city office where your facility is located for specific business license requirements.

City Sales Tax License

Contact the local city office where your facility is located for specific city sales tax license requirements.

Liquor License

Contact the following offices as determined by the location of your facility:

  • City Clerk’s Office: Boulder, Longmont, Lafayette, Louisville
  • Town Clerk’s Office: Nederland, Lyons, Erie, Superior
  • Boulder County Commissioners’ Office: All Others
  • Local Fire Department
  • Local Building Department
  • Planning/Zoning Office

State Sales Tax License

Contact the Colorado Department of Revenue at 303-866-2476. Your state sales tax account number will be required on your food service license application.

Federal Tax ID Number

Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-3676, or visit their office at 600 17th Street, 3rd Floor, Denver, Colorado.

Building Permit

If your establishment is in an incorporated municipality other than Boulder, contact the Building Department in the local jurisdiction.

For More Information

Contact Us

Food Safety Program

Main: 303-441-1564
Submit a question


3450 Broadway
Map & Directions
Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. M-F