Specific Ownership Tax
Specific Ownership Tax is in lieu of a personal property tax. This tax is collected every year at the time of registration renewal (progressively smaller portion of the MSRP is collected each year). The formulas used are set by the Department of Revenue and based on the following:
- Original taxable value (MSRP – Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price)
- Purchase date of the vehicle or registration expiration date
NOTE: Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
Sales / Use Tax
Sales taxes are due when a vehicle is purchased (this includes vehicles that are purchased out of state).
- If a vehicle is purchased from a dealer, the dealer collects all or a portion of the sales tax that is due. Proof of paid sales tax is required at the time of registration (see instructions for sales tax paid to another state). Any unpaid sales taxes are collected by Boulder County Motor Vehicle.
- If a vehicle is purchased from a private party, all sales taxes are collected by Boulder County Motor Vehicle.
State, county, city and regional transportation district sales / use taxes are based on the following:
- Purchase price of the vehicle
- Residence address of the owner