Vehicles must be covered by auto insurance before they can be registered.
If state records indicate a vehicle is not insured in Colorado, proof of insurance must be provided.
Colorado auto insurance laws do not allow Boulder County to renew a registration with out-of-state insurance.
- Proof of Colorado insurance must be provided to renew a registration.
Proof of Insurance
Boulder County Motor Vehicle must verify insurance with one of the following items to register a vehicle:
- Current insurance card for the vehicle
- Insurance policy, declaration or binder
- Letter from the insurance provider on company letterhead
- Proof of self-insurance for the vehicle or owner
Proof of insurance must include the following:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Effective and expiration dates