- Vehicles must be covered by auto insurance before they can be registered in Colorado.
- You may use out-of-state insurance to register a vehicle in Colorado, but you must obtain Colorado insurance before renewing your registration.
- If state records indicate a vehicle is not insured in Colorado, you must provide proof of insurance at the time of registration.
- You must provide proof of insurance if:
- Indicated on your renewal postcard, or
- You registered your vehicle using out-of-state insurance. To renew your registration you must provide proof of Colorado insurance.
Proof of Insurance
Boulder County Motor Vehicle must verify insurance with one of the following items to register a vehicle:
- Current insurance card for the vehicle
- Insurance policy, declaration or binder
- Letter from the insurance provider on company letterhead
- Proof of self-insurance for the vehicle or owner
Proof of insurance must include the following:
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Effective and expiration dates