Boulder County offices will be closed Monday, Nov. 11 in observance of Veterans Day. Emergency and 24/7 public services will continue to operate.

Emissions Extension Request

Emissions Extension Request

If an emissions test is required for a vehicle that is temporarily out of state, obtain an emissions extension by providing the following to the Boulder County Motor Vehicle Division:

  • Completed emissions extension form (DR 2376)
  • Results of passing emissions test, if testing is performed in the county where the vehicle is located.*
  • Provide a copy of current insurance
  • Renewal reminder postcard, if available
  • Registration payment by check or money order made out to Boulder County

* If emissions testing is not performed in the county where the vehicle is located, a VIN verification form (DR 2698) or an equivalent out-of-state form must be completed by either a local law enforcement officer or a motor vehicle employee from the state where the vehicle is currently located. Additionally, the vehicle must be emissions tested within 15 days of returning to Colorado.

Apply for an out-of-state extension in-person, by mail or ***NEW*** online.

Mail Address:
Boulder County Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Emissions Extension Requests
1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301

Contact Us

Motor Vehicle Division

303-413-7725 (Fax)
Hours: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. M-F


Boulder: 1750 33rd Street
Map & Directions

Longmont: 529 Coffman Street
Map & Directions

Lafayette: 1376 Miners Drive
Map & Directions

Mailing Address

1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301