If an emissions test is required for a vehicle that is temporarily out of state, obtain an emissions extension by providing the following to the Boulder County Motor Vehicle Division:
- Completed emissions extension form (DR 2376)
- Results of passing emissions test, if testing is performed in the county where the vehicle is located.*
- Provide a copy of current insurance
- Renewal reminder postcard, if available
- Registration payment by check or money order made out to Boulder County
* If emissions testing is not performed in the county where the vehicle is located, a VIN verification form (DR 2698) or an equivalent out-of-state form must be completed by either a local law enforcement officer or a motor vehicle employee from the state where the vehicle is currently located. Additionally, the vehicle must be emissions tested within 15 days of returning to Colorado.
Apply for an out-of-state extension in-person, by mail or ***NEW*** online.
Boulder County Motor Vehicle Division
Attn: Emissions Extension Requests
1750 33rd Street, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301