Provide the following documents to a buyer when selling a vehicle:
- Hand-printed names and signatures of seller(s) and buyer(s) are required
- Bill of Sale (in rare circumstances, such as when proper ownership documents are missing, please contact our office for alternative Bill of Sale paperwork)
- Odometer disclosure statement if the vehicle is less than ten years old:
- Disclose on title, secure dealer bill of sale or secure power of attorney
- Include odometer reading and indicator
- Hand-printed names and signatures of seller(s) and buyer(s) is required
- Proof of emissions test if required:
A motor vehicle Bill of Sale must be given to the buyer to obtain a temporary permit until the duplicate title is received.
License plates belong to the seller, not the vehicle. If a vehicle is sold or traded, license plates must be removed.
Release of Liability: Voluntarily report a transfer of ownership within five days of sale. Pursuant to C.R.S. 42-6-109(3), this notification serves to remove the seller’s liability for the buyer’s actions involving the vehicle after the sale is complete.
Contact or visit a Boulder County Motor Vehicle office if an error is made completing the title.