How to properly endorse a title
To avoid wasted time and hassle at the DMV, you must be sure to properly endorse your vehicle title when transferring it to a buyer, family member, or another party as part of a sale or gift.
- Odometer Reading: If the vehicle is under 10 years old, an odometer reading (without decimals) needs to be entered in the Odometer Reading box. An odometer indicator checkbox must be checked. If the vehicle is 10 years or older, then odometer information and buyer signature are not required.
- Seller’s Hand Printed Name(s): The seller must legibly hand print the names of all title owners. The names must be printed exactly as they appear on the front of the title.
- Seller’s Signature: All titled owners listed on the front of the title must sign in the designated Seller’s Signature area.
- Buyer’s Hand Printed Name: The name(s) of all buyers must be legibly hand printed. The name should be printed as you want it to appear on the new title.
- Buyer’s Signature Acknowledges Odometer Reading: The signature of one buyer must be entered if there was an odometer reading.
- Date of Sale & Purchase Price: Must be entered in the appropriate boxes. If the vehicle is being transferred to a family member for free or is a gift, write “Gift” in the purchase price box.
Alterations to the title are not allowed. If you make a mistake, you must request a new title.