Stage 1 fire restrictions for western Boulder county effective 11/30/21. See flyer, map, and news release for details.

Frequently Asked Questions

Concealed Handgun Permits

Below are Frequently Asked Questions regarding Concealed Handgun Permits

Any person who is a legal resident of the State of Colorado, who is 21 years of age (18 years of age for a Temporary Emergency Permit). Also, a person who is a member of the Armed Forces and is stationed pursuant to permanent duty station orders at a military installation in the State of Colorado, and a member of the person’s immediate family is living in Colorado, is deemed a legal resident of the State of Colorado.

No. C.R.S. 18-12-203(c) states: A sheriff shall issue a permit to carry to an applicant who is not ineligible to possess a firearm pursuant to Federal Law.

Federal Law 18 USC 922(g) (3) prohibits any person who is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, any controlled substance from shipping, transporting, receiving, or possessing firearms or ammunition. Marijuana is listed in the Controlled Substances Act as a Schedule I controlled substance, and there are no exceptions in Federal Law for marijuana purportedly used for medicinal purposes, even if such use is sanctioned by State Law. Further, Federal Law 18 USC 922(d) (3) makes it unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, a controlled substance.

Any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his/her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by Federal Law from possessing firearms or ammunition.

You must show evidence that you attended a firearms training course, i.e., a Law Enforcement Firearms Training/Safety Course; a Firearms Safety Course offered by a Law Enforcement Agency or an Institution or Organization or Firearms Training School that is open to the general public and is taught by a Certified Instructor within ten years of your application; or evidence at the time of application that you are a Certified Firearms Instructor; or proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States Armed Forces within three years of your application; or proof of honorable discharge from the United States Armed Forces within ten years of your application which also reflects that you were a marksman, weapons instructor or had recognized pistol qualifications. (A Training Certificate from any class attended (or a copy thereof) must be provided with your Concealed Handgun Permit Application.)


The course you take must be with an in-person instructor. (Please check with the Sheriff’s Office if you have questions concerning a valid training course.)

Look in your phone book or contact your local gun shop for places that offer firearms training classes.

A Concealed Handgun Permit application is $152.50 total: $100.00 for application processing to the BCSO and $52.50 for fingerprinting for the CBI and FBI background checks

A personal check, cashier’s check or money order made payable to the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office for $152.50.

You must sign the application in front of a Sheriff’s Office Representative; therefore, you should bring your UNSIGNED application to the Records counter of the Sheriff’s Office, and it will be witnessed by a Sheriff’s Office Representative after you sign it and provide your driver’s license as proof of identification.

Yes. You will be fingerprinted when you turn in your application at the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office (we do not accept fingerprints from other locations/agencies).

Yes. You will have your picture taken when you turn in your application. (Do not bring a photo, as we will not be able to use it.)

A permit is good for five years.

A permit holder must notify the ISSUING Sheriff’s Office within thirty (30) days of moving with the Change of Address form.

You may submit a Change of Address form a few ways:
Mail to or walk in to:
Boulder County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: CCW
5600 Flatiron Parkway
Boulder, CO 80301

Scan and email to: or fax to: 720-564-2674.

Failure to notify the issuing agency of a change of address is considered a Class 1 Petty Offense. You will NOT receive a new card (similar to how changes of address are processed with a Driver’s License).

A permit holder must notify the issuing Sheriff’s Office within three (3) business days of the loss, theft, or destruction of a Concealed Handgun Permit (Use the same form as you do for a change of address, and you may submit the form the same way you submit a change of address (see above suggestions for submitting a change of address form)). Failure to do so is considered a Class 1 Petty Offense.

No. Per legislation signed into law in May 2007, if you are a resident of the State of Colorado (i.e., have a Colorado Driver’s License or ID card) and possess a permit from another state, that permit is no longer valid in the State of Colorado (check the issuing state to see if it is still valid in other states). If you are a Colorado resident and want to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Colorado, you must apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State of Colorado per the instructions outlined on this website.

The website and/or the packet of information first provided to you with your application are excellent tools for answering questions you may have concerning your Concealed Handgun Permit. You may also visit the Colorado Bureau of Investigation website for pertinent CCW information Finally, if you don’t find the answers you need, please feel free to contact the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office by email at or by phone at 303-441-3994.

Contact Us

Concealed Handgun Permit

Main: 303-441-3994
Fax: 720-564-2674



Sheriff's Headquarters
5600 Flatiron Parkway
Boulder, CO 80301
Map & Directions

H.Q. Lobby Hours:
08:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. M-F