If you are a Retired Law Enforcement Officer, you may be eligible for a Retired Law Enforcement Officer Concealed Handgun Permit, per Federal Law.
The following is a list of requirements:
- Be retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability; and
- Before such retirement was authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation or prosecution of, or the incarceration of, any person for any violation of law and had statutory powers of arrest; and
- Before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 10 years or more; OR retired from service with such agency (after completing any applicable probationary period), due to a service-connected disability, as determined by such agency; and
Have a non-forfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency; and
- Are not under the influence of alcohol or other intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; and
- Are not prohibited by Federal (or State) Law from receiving or possessing a firearm.
- You must have retired credentials, i.e., a photo ID card issued by the agency you retired from showing your rank and date of retirement.
Other requirements include:
- You must qualify once a year with the agency you retired from, under the same criteria required when you were in active service. If you are not living in the same location as the agency you retired from, you can qualify with the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office only if you live in Boulder County or retired from the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office.
- The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office offers a “retired shoot” quarterly in January, April, July and October. There is a nominal fee involved. Please contact the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office at 303-441-3994 for additional information and to set up your appointment to attend the shoot.
Once these qualifications are met, a Retired Law Enforcement Concealed Handgun Permit will be issued to you with a one year expiration date.
You may obtain a Retired Law Enforcement Concealed Handgun Permit Application by:
- Downloading and printing out our Retired Officer Application.
- Picking up an application at the Boulder County Sheriff’s Office – Records Counter, 5600 Flatiron Parkway, Boulder, CO 80301.
- Calling 303-441-3994 and requesting an application be sent to you.
Jodi Biekert – Concealed Handgun Permit