Boulder County Public Works has started phase one of a two-phased reconstruction project of 71st Street between Lookout Road and State Highway (CO) 52. In order to safely complete the work, the project will require the following traffic control measures at various times throughout construction:
- Full road closures with associated travel detours
- Single-lane closures
- Merger of the shoulder/bike lane with the main travel lane
- Intersection closures
- Closures and detours of the Longmont to Boulder (LoBo) Trail
- Sidewalk closures on side streets along 71st
Work will take place between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The project is anticipated to last through July 2021, weather permitting.
Boulder County Public Works, in partnership with the City of Boulder and CDOT Region 4, is planning to reconstruct 71st Street between Lookout Road and Highway 52. The reconstruction project will:
- Widen 71st Street to include paved shoulders;
- Realign the 71st/CO Highway 52 intersection farther east to improve safety;
- Construct a new 10-foot wide concrete path along Lookout Road and down 71st Street to Winchester Office Park;
- Replace the crossing of the Longmont-to-Boulder Trail with a new median-protected crossing;
- Reconstruct one-block of Glacier View Road to fix long-standing drainage problems and to improve pedestrian access into the Gunbarrel Estates neighborhood; and,
- Improve lighting and bicycle parking along the corridor.
To simplify permitting and maintain access into the Winchester Business Park, the project will be constructed in two segments. The first section (Lookout to Winchester Circle), will start on Jan. 11 and be completed in the summer of 2021. The second section (Winchester Circle to CO Highway 52), will be underway in either 2023 or 2024, depending on timing and funding availability.
- Tim Swope, AICP – email or 720-564-2658