PROJECT ON HOLD UNTIL SPRING 2018
Work on 95th Street at the intersections of Valmont Road and Isabelle Road has been suspended until the spring of 2018. Private utility companies will be relocating and replacing their facilities in the area over the winter of 2017/2018. After the utility work is complete, our contractor will return to complete the intersections project, which will include additional paving and new striping. In addition, both a left- and right-turn lane will be added from Valmont onto 95th Street. Restart of the project will depend on the weather and contractor availability, but we hope to be completely finished by the end of April 2018.
Project Travel Impacts
95th Street CLOSED north of Valmont from 8 a.m., Tuesday, Nov. 28 through the evening of Wednesday, Nov. 29 in order for utilities to be installed under the roadway by Xcel Energy. Expect daytime lane closures and shifts on 95th Street through December as utility poles and wires are relocated and a drainage sewer is installed.
Valmont and Isabelle roads intersect 95th Street at an “offset” intersection that requires eastbound and westbound vehicles to share the road with north-south traffic on 95th Street. Neither intersection is signalized leading to significant peak-hour congestion and accident rates that are among the highest of any intersection in Boulder County.
The 95th Street Intersection Improvement Project will make operational improvements at a set of two off-set stop-controlled intersections on 95th Street. Work will include:
- Widening 95th Street to allow for legthened center turn lane for both intersections while maintaining the standard paved shoulder width along with a southbound right-turn lane onto Valmont from 95th Street
- Widening Isabelle Road to allow for an additional turn lane onto 95th Street
- Geometric improvements on Valmont Road at the intersection to improve safety and improve roadside drainage during storm events.
Funding for the 95th Street intersection improvements is through a combination of County Transportation Sales Tax and Federal grants for intersection safety improvements.
The widening of Valmont Road, Isabelle Road, and 95th Street between the two intersections is listed on the 2007 Ballot Issue to fund transportation improvements throughout the county.
Boulder County was awarded $900,000 in Federal Hazard Elimination funds in 2012 to address safety concerns at the two intersections.
- Public Process – 2013 to 2015
- Design – Complete
- Right-of-Way, Contracting, and Utilities – Through July 2017
- Construction – June/July 2017 through December 2017