Planned Reconstruction of Boston Avenue/Sunset Street Postponed.
Boulder County and the City of Longmont are in the process of reevaluating the phasing of the Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-funded Boston Avenue Reconstruction Project and have decided to not move to construction this summer as previously planned. The decision to delay construction is due to increased demands on the county’s portion of HUD Community Development Block Grant for Disaster Recovery (CDBG-DR) Round III flood recovery funds. Both the county and city remain committed to implementing the plans as currently designed and will be working in the years to see the project move into construction.
Boulder County Transportation in partnership with the City of Longmont is planning to reconstruct both Sunset Street and Boston Street in a section of unincorporated Boulder County located within Longmont.
- New sidewalks along the remaining sections of Sunset Street; along Boston Avenue from Sunset to the Boston bridge over St. Vrain Creek; and, along the west side of River Road from Boston down to the existing sidewalk
- Intersection improvements including new pedestrian facilities, turn lanes, and bicycle facilities
- Bike lanes along both Sunset and Boston
- Drainage improvements including improved storm drains along Boston Avenue
The goal of the Boston/Sunset Improvement Project is to improve safety for all road users; provide new pedestrian connections along the corridor; and, repave both roads for long-term resiliency.
The project is funded by the City of Longmont, Boulder County, and the Federal Housing and Urban Development Department.
No meetings are scheduled at this time
- Nov. 1, 2017 – Boulder County and the City of Longmont hosted a public open house to present preliminary plans and gather feedback on proposed improvements to Sunset Street and Boston Avenue
- First Public Notice on Potential Impacts to a Flood Hazard Area, which appeared int the Oct. 12, 2017 edition of the Longmont Times Call
- Final Public Notice on the Potential Impacts to a Flood Hazard Area, which ran in the Nov. 12, 2017 edition of the Longmont Times Call
- Preliminary Design Plans (10/9/17) – The plans have been abbreviated for size and clarity. Full design sets are available from Boulder County Transportation.
- First Public Notice on Impacts to Flood Hazard Area, which ran in the Longmont Times Call on Nov. 13, 2017
To comment on the plans, please contact Andrew Barth at:
- Call 303-441-1032
- Send a letter to P.O Box 471, C/O Andrew Barth Boulder County Transportation, Boulder, CO 80306