CONSTRUCTION UNDERWAY – ROAD CLOSED 24/7 (see below for specific info)
PROJECT UPDATE (June 28, 2018) – ROAD WILL REOPEN AT 6 a.m. on FRIDAY, JUNE 29.
The Central Federal Lands Highway Division of the Federal Highways Administration (CFLHD), in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and Boulder County Transportation, is reconstructing Brainard Lake Road between the Peak-to-Peak Highway (SH 72) and the Brainard Lake Recreation Area from November 2017 through July 2018.
SPRING & SUMMER 2018 – FULL CLOSURE (24/7) – March 12 through June 28, 2018
Starting Monday, March 12, 2018, Brainard Road will be closed 24-hours a day, seven days a week through Thursday, June 28 to allow for uninterrupted construction work and a safe work zone. Road will reopen at 7 a.m. on Friday, June 29. Work will take place between dawn and dusk seven-days a week. There is a substantial amount of work to do in a short amount of time, which is why we must enforce a full-road closure. Do not attempt to drive around barricades as this is trespassing and you could be cited.
- Any changes to this schedule will be posted here as soon as they are known.
- Visit the USFS Website to see other winter recreation areas in the vicinity
- Full reconstruction of 2.5 miles of Brainard Lake Road
- Increased roadway width from 22-feet to 27-feet
- Four-foot shoulder in the uphill/westbound lane to improve safety, assist with snow removal, and provide additional space for cyclists and pedestrians using the road
- Source water protection measures for the Town of Ward’s water supply
- Speed mitigation devices in advance of tighter curves.
The project is anticipated to cost approximately $3.5 million, 80 percent of which is funded through the Colorado Federal Lands Access Program, a federal program to fund construction of state or locally-owned access roads that access federally owned properties.
- Brainard Lake Road Designs – Oct. 2015
Project Contacts & Email List: