CONSTRUCTION UNDERWAY – ROAD CLOSED 24/7 Starting March 1, 2018 (see below for specific info)
The Central Federal Lands Highway Division of the Federal Highways Administration (CFLHD), in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service and Boulder County Transportation, is reconstructing Brainard Lake Road between the Peak-to-Peak Highway (SH 72) and the Brainard Lake Recreation Area from November 2017 through July 2018.
SPRING & SUMMER 2018 – FULL CLOSURE (24/7) – March 1 through June 28, 2018
Starting in mid-March 1, 2018, Brainard Road will be closed 24-hours a day, seven days a week through Thursday, June 28 to allow for uninterrupted construction work and a safe work zone.
- The road will be closed, but the recreation area will remain open. Access the recreation are via area trails.
- Any changes to this schedule will be posted here as soon as they are known.
- The road will be open to all traffic on major holidays and whenever work is not being undertaken.
SPILLWAY BRIDGE REPAIRS AT BRAINARD LAKE – March 1, 2018 through June 28, 2018
The U.S. Forest Service will be working on repairs to the Spillway Bridge at Brainard Lake itself between March 1, 2018 and June 28, 2018. The bridge may be closed during this time, but the recreation area will remain open.
- Full reconstruction of 2.5 miles of Brainard Lake Road
- Increased roadway width from 22-feet to 27-feet
- Four-foot shoulder in the uphill/westbound lane to improve safety, assist with snow removal, and provide additional space for cyclists and pedestrians using the road
- Source water protection measures for the Town of Ward’s water supply
- Speed mitigation devices in advance of tighter curves.
The project is anticipated to cost approximately $3.5 million, 80 percent of which is funded through the Colorado Federal Lands Access Program, a federal program to fund construction of state or locally-owned access roads that access federally owned properties.
- Brainard Lake Road Designs – Oct. 2015
Project Contacts & Email List: