|Application or Registration Deadline:
|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Parks & Open Space
||Open Space, Environment, and Gardening
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:
||Monitor at least once per month during April and May. Must be at least 18 years old.
Locations vary, but can involve working on uneven terrain.
Volunteers monitor Abert’s squirrel populations in ponderosa pine forests to assist in forest treatment planning and post-treatment effects on squirrel populations.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
- Commit to at least one year of monitoring (prefer a two-year commitment)
- Monitor at least once a month in April and May and record signs of Abert’s squirrel activity
- Monitoring sessions take approximately 2.5-3 hours each
- Should enjoy working in the outdoors, in all types of weather and terrain
- Willing to work alone or within a group (usually in a pair)
|Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Preferred education in biology, ecology, natural sciences
- Experience in wildlife species field identification (small mammals preferred) or natural resources background
- Preferred experience with scientific protocol
- Preferred experience in line and point transect monitoring
- Desired experience in interpreting aerial photos and topographic maps
- Desired experience using GPS or other “smart device” (iPhone, Android, etc.) to navigate to waypoints
- Understand need for rigor and accuracy in scientific data collection
- Be in good physical shape, and able to work on steep and natural terrain
- Abide by all open space rules and regulations, and set an example for other park visitors
- Must have personal transportation
|Training Dates and Information:
Attend new volunteer training on April 7, 2019.
For more information contact Dave Hoerath at 303-678-6204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is March 22, 2019.
Applications are accepted through Discover Boulder County, Parks & Open Space’s volunteer management system. If you’re new to the system, you’ll need to create an account. But it’s easy and we only use your contact information to communicate about events you register for. We will never sell or give your information to a third party.
If you are an existing Parks & Open Space volunteer, please contact Dave Hoerath and let him know you would like to apply for the volunteer opportunity.