|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Human Services and Public Health
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:
||3-4 hours/week, 3:00-7:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays (Boulder and Longmont). Other weeknights/weekends as needed for additional events. Must be 21 years old to apply.
Boulder County – currently serving Boulder, Longmont, and Lafayette youth.
GENESISTER is a pregnancy prevention program for the siblings and daughters of pregnant and parenting teens. Visit www.BoulderCountyGENESISTER.org for more information.
Description of Work:
This position assists GENESISTER staff in the service delivery of science-based, comprehensive teen pregnancy prevention programming to the female* siblings/daughters of pregnant and/or parenting teens in Boulder County.
*GENESISTER deﬁnes female as any person designated/assigned female at birth and/or who has been socialized as female.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
GENESISTER offers the following two types of volunteer positions:
Position 1: Client Transportation/Youth Group Support
• Using personal vehicle, transports participants to and from GENESISTER groups, Fun Nights, and service learning/volunteer projects.
• Works with GENESISTER staff to support the development, coordination, and implementation of service-learning projects and Fun Nights for youth.
• Assists GENESISTER staff with setting up and breaking down group meetings.
Position 2: Academic Tutor
• Provides basic tutoring in a variety of subjects for elementary school, middle school, and high school students (ages 12-18).
• Assists in organizing homework clubs – preparing the room, setting up snacks, calling participants, completing attendance paperwork, etc.
• Provides GENESISTER staff with outcomes, student needs, and/or progress updates after each tutoring encounter.
• Supports youth in developing a vision for post-secondary education and career.
|Qualifications and Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Awareness of racism, xenophobia, privilege, sexism, etc., and their effects on the community at large.
• Ability to work in a nonjudgmental fashion with high-risk youth and families that have low income.
• Ability to support comprehensive sexual health education and women’s rights.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to conduct self in a responsible and professional manner.
• Ability to assist students with homework in a patient and compassionate manner.
• Must manage the creation, maintenance, sharing, storage, and disposal of all client protected health information (PHI) in compliance with applicable Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements.
• Knowledge of mandated reporter policies and procedures (if none, training will be provided).
• Ability to be flexible and expect scheduling changes and challenges, as well as unprepared youth and/or families.
• To transport clients the volunteer must have: 1) a reliable personal vehicle that is readily available for business use; 2) minimum liability insurance, as required by the State of Colorado; 3) a valid driver’s license; 4) a driving record in good standing; 5) properly functioning front and back seatbelts in the vehicle; and 6) all passengers, including the driver, wearing seatbelts at all times while the vehicle is in motion.
• Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations and/or tuberculosis (TB) tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
|Training Dates and Information:
Training and Orientation:
• Initial and ongoing training is provided, as needed.
• Provided by the GENESISTER volunteer supervisor individually and/or as part of a group, as needed after volunteer placement.
• Certain mileage reimbursement for GENESISTER-related transportation will be provided, if applicable.
• Excellent opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of young women and their families.
• Flexible work schedule.
• Opportunity to support reproductive justice and be an additional trusted adult and role model for young women.
BCPH Volunteer/Intern Services Program
Boulder CO 80304
Submit an application online.