|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Human Services and Public Health
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:
||3-4 hours/week, 3:00-6:30 p.m. on Tuesdays (middle school - Boulder), Wednesdays (middle/high school - Longmont) and/or Thursdays (high school - Boulder); additional events are held throughout the month. Must be 21 years old to apply.
Boulder County – currently serving Boulder, Longmont, and Lafayette youth. Currently our most urgent need is in Boulder.
GENESISTER is a pregnancy prevention program for the siblings of pregnant and parenting teens. Visitwww.BoulderCountyGENESISTER.org for more information.
Description of Work:
Assists GENESISTER staff in the service delivery of science-based, comprehensive teen pregnancy prevention programming to the female siblings and parents of pregnant and/or parenting teens in Boulder County.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works with staff to develop, coordinate, and implement service-learning projects for youth.
• Occasionally facilitates or co-facilitates a group in an area of expertise or interest (e.g. college applications, healthy eating/active living, using art to promote social justice, etc.).
• Assists staff in organizing and implementing pro-social outings (“Fun Nights”) for clients once a month.
• Acts as a resource during groups to answer questions and assist students with homework, as necessary and when possible (staff would also be available).
• Transports participants in personal vehicle to and from GENESISTER groups, Fun Nights, and service learning/volunteer projects.
• Supports youth in developing a vision for post-secondary education and career.
• Provides feedback on clients to GENESISTER staff, as appropriate.
• Maintains regular contact with volunteer supervisor, and communicates availability in a timely manner.
• Assists staff with setting up and breaking down group meetings.
|Qualifications and Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to conduct oneself in a responsible and professional manner.
• Knowledge of positive youth development, prevention programming with youth, and/or parent education.
• Ability to work with high-risk youth in a nonjudgmental fashion.
• Ability to work with and understand issues facing low-income families.
• Ability to assist students with homework in a patient and compassionate manner.
• Manages the creation, maintenance, sharing, storage, and disposal of all client protected health information (PHI) in compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requirements.
• Knowledge of mandated reporter policies and procedures.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work effectively on a team, as well as independently.
• Ability to be self-directed, motivated, and dependable.
• Ability to be flexible and expect scheduling changes and challenges, as well as unprepared youth and/or families.
• Ability to have high energy and a positive attitude, as well as enjoy being around the young and young at heart.
• Ability to support comprehensive sexual health education and women’s rights.
• Must have a reliable personal vehicle that is readily available for business use; minimum liability insurance, as required by the State of Colorado; a valid driver’s license; and a driving record in good standing.
• The vehicle must have properly functioning front and back seatbelts, and all passengers (including driver) are required to wear seatbelts at all times.
• Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations and/or tuberculosis (TB) tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
|Training Dates and Information:
Upfront training, as provided by GENESISTER staff:
o Mandated reporting and confidentiality requirements.
o Group, Fun Night, and service-learning preparation, setup, and teardown needs.
o Transportation requirements and process.
o Communication and paperwork expectations with staff, youth, and families.
Ongoing training, as provided by GENESISTER:
o Teen pregnancy prevention strategies.
o Additional training, as needed.
• Certain mileage reimbursement for all GENESISTER-related transportation, as designated by Boulder County.
• Excellent opportunity to make a positive difference in the lives of young women and their families.
• Valuable experience in science-based, comprehensive sexual health education, positive youth development, and service learning.
• Professional ties with community experts and other community and county agencies working in the field.
• Flexible work schedule.
• Opportunity to support women’s rights and be an additional trusted adult and role model for young women.
• Provided by the GENESISTER volunteer supervisor individually and/or as part of a group, as needed after volunteer placement.
• The supervision schedule will be determined with the volunteer after placement.
BCPH Volunteer/Intern Services Program
Boulder CO 80304
Submit an application online.