|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Human Services and Public Health
|Time Commitment or Project Date:
||A minimum of three hours per week for one year. Must be at least 25 years old to apply.
Homes of families of children with special needs throughout Boulder County
The Children with Special Needs (CSN) Program assists families of children with special health care needs from birth to age 21 by:
• Providing care coordination services for the families of infants and children who were born prematurely or have special health care needs.
• Supporting families with a child who has suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
• Linking families to appropriate community resources.
• Providing families with information relating to child health and developmental needs.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
Description of Work:
CSN’s Give-A-Break Program volunteers provide in-home care for infants and/or young children with special developmental and/or health care needs. The goal of the program is to enhance the well-being of the parents / caregivers and their ability to cope by providing time for rest and relaxation (e.g. time to take a nap, read, take a bubble bath, enjoy some sun or gardening in the yard, or a similar activity in the client’s home).
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Basic infant care, including feeding, diaper changing, and soothing the child.
• Companionship and support for the client.
• Supervising and playing with infants and young children ranging in age from six months to three years.
|Qualifications and Requirements:
Education: High school diploma, some college preferred.
Experience: Experience working with families, especially caring for infants and young children.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Must be family and people oriented and enjoy helping others.
• Must be patient, caring, nurturing, and enjoy working with babies and young children.
• Strong verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
• Ability to stand for longer periods of time to calm fussy babies.
• Must be at least 25 years of age.
• Must have a flexible schedule, Monday through Friday, in order to meet client need.
• Must have current basic first aid and infant CPR training/certification.
• Must have own vehicle for transportation, current automobile insurance, a valid driver’s license, and a driving record in good standing.
• Must agree to and successfully pass background checks (at the expense of BCPH).
• Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations and/or TB tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
• Universal precautions and TB training will be provided by the BCPH employee infection control nurse before the volunteer may begin.
|Training Dates and Information:
Training and Orientation:
• Orientation and training will be provided by the Give-A-Break volunteer coordinator and the CSN Program nursing staff prior to the volunteer’s start as an in-home Give-A-Break volunteer.
• Flexible work schedule.
• Work with a great staff committed to the work of the CSN Program and the well-being of their clients.
• Gain an understanding of the role of public health in the community.
• Make a difference in the lives of Boulder County’s families and their special needs children.
BCPH Volunteer/Intern Services Program
Boulder CO 80304
Submit an application online.