|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Human Services and Public Health
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:
||10-20 hours/week, 2019-2020 Academic Year, single semester option available
Longmont, CO 80501
Description of Work:
The OASOS (Open, Affirming, Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity Supports) Program Intern will work toward making Boulder County a safe and supportive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, and asexual youth (LGBTQIA+). This internship will specifically support OASOS’ school-based work with Gay Straight Alliances (GSAs) and similar clubs across Boulder Valley and St. Vrain Valley School Districts (BVSD, SVVSD).
|Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Networks with GSAs and similar clubs at BVSD and SVVSD schools to provide connection, support, and resources.
• Provides technical assistance and support to schools working to build an affirming and inclusive environment for LGBTQIA+ youth.
• Develops familiarity with local resources for LGBTQIA+ youth and integrates, as appropriate, into work with youth.
• Leads and plans group topics, events, and activities for GSAs and similar clubs, when appropriate.
• Supports planning and execution of GSA Summits and additional OASOS youth events.
• Attends Safe Schools Coalition Meetings, when appropriate.
• Assists with public outreach and educational presentations to community and school organizations.
• Performs related duties, as required.
|Qualifications and Requirements:
Education: Currently enrolled in a social work, public health, public administration, education, gender studies program, or related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with LGBTQIA+ and allied youth, teachers, counselors, school leadership, and community partners.
• Understanding and knowledge of sexual orientation and gender identity.
• Comfort working with adolescents.
• Ability to work well independently and with others.
• Ability to plan and implement projects and activities.
• Ability to be reliable and demonstrate solid boundaries in working with youth.
• Experience with youth advocacy and leadership development is preferred.
• Must have reliable transportation that is readily available to attend meetings and groups throughout Boulder County.
• Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation. Some immunizations and/or tuberculosis (TB) tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer/intern must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
|Training Dates and Information:
Training, Experience, and Benefits Gained:
• Acquire knowledge in LGBTQIA+ adolescent development, as well as skills in public health, community outreach, workshop facilitation, youth advocacy, and program development and operation.
Supervision: This position will be supervised by the OASOS Program Specialist and the OASOS Program Coordinator.
BCPH Volunteer/Intern Services Program
Boulder CO 80304
Submit an application online.