|| Ongoing Volunteer Opportunity
||Human Services and Public Health
|Time Commitment & Minimum Age:
||Varies, depending upon the emergency or event. Must be 18 years old to apply.
The mission of the Medical Reserve Corps of Boulder County (MRCBC) is to establish teams of trained, local volunteer medical, public health, and safety professionals who can contribute their skills and expertise during times of community and national need.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of Boulder County Public Health, help address the community’s ongoing public health needs during large-scale emergency situations.
- Deliver necessary public health services during a crisis, assist emergency response teams with patients and provide care directly to those with less serious injuries and other health-related issues.
- Duties may also include augmenting medical and support staff shortages at medical or emergency facilities, assisting with the distribution or dispensing of pharmaceuticals, infections disease surveillance, and assisting with immunization clinics.
|Qualifications and Requirements:
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Ability to conduct oneself in a responsible and professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively in a team, as well as independently.
- Some experience or background in providing medical care to adults and pediatric patients, often with special medical needs (e.g., insulin dependent, oxygen dependent, supplemental feeding tubes), or experience and background in providing mental health care to adults and pediatric patients.
- Strong organizational skills
- Bi-lingual language skills appreciated, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Licensed or retired with significant experience – Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), Doctor of Dentistry (DDS), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Physician Assistant (PA), Registered Nurse (RN), or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) with qualified experience.
- Licensed mental health counselor with qualified experience.
- Emergency Medical Technician or Paramedic with qualified experience.
- Nursing or medical student with qualified experience.
- EMT or Paramedic student with qualified experience.
- Health care administrator with significant health care management experience.
- Must complete a Medical Reserve Corps of Boulder County application.
- Must register online with the Colorado Volunteer Mobilizer to verify professional license status and Colorado Bureau of Investigation background check.
- Must submit immunization history form and immunization documentation.
- Some immunizations and/or TB tests may be required (at the expense of BCPH), and volunteer/intern must comply with these requirements prior to start date.
|Training Dates and Information:
- Must complete the Incident Command System (ICS) 100 and National Incident Management System (NIMS) 700 courses either online or in a class, and complete the online examination
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Just in Time Training (JITT) will be provided for specific jobs at a Point of Dispensing Site (PODS), Special Needs Population Shelter (SpNS), Alternate Care Facility (ACF), immunization clinic, or outbreak investigation interview.
- BCPH employee infection control nurse will provide information to the volunteer about Universal Precautions.
- MRCBC and BCPH will sponsor additional trainings on an as-needed basis, related to these and other potential medical emergencies, natural disasters or other emergencies that could arise in Boulder County.
- Opportunity to make a difference in the lives of Boulder County residents.
- Ability to assist Boulder County Public Health to meet its responsibilities and obligations during a natural disaster, emergency or pandemic.
- Establish professional ties with colleagues and county agencies working in the emergency preparedness and response field.
- Gain an understanding of the role of public health in the community.
- Gain valuable experience in personal emergency preparedness.
Nick Kell, MRCBC Unit Coordinator
Boulder County Public Health
Please contact email@example.com or visitwww.BoulderCountyMRC.org to request an application.