Level 2 Fire Restrictions in effect for western areas of Boulder County. No fireworks, fires, open flame, or shooting (see map and flyer).

Many County services are being offered online. Additionally, a variety of resources are available for those impacted by COVID-19.

Child Support Services
Mom and 2 daughters

Child Support Services

Child Support Services works with parents – custodial and noncustodial – and guardians to ensure children and families receive court-ordered support.

We want you to know that late or non-payment of child support can impact federal stimulus payments. Visit www.boco.org/StimulusChildSupport for information.

¡OJO! No pagar manutención infantil, o pagar tarde, puede afectar que reciba el estímulo económico federal. Vea www.boco.org/EstimuloManutencion.

Please note: Due to COVID-19 health concerns, Boulder County Child Support Services is accepting applications for new services by mail or online only. We cannot accept applications in person at this time.

You can print an application for child support services or apply on-line through the State website at https://childsupport.state.co.us

Our staff will then get in touch with you for next steps after your application is submitted.

If you want to make a payment on your child support case, information on your options can be found at https://childsupport.state.co.us/make-payment

If you need a status update on your existing case, please contact your Child Support Services caseworker directly and we will call you back. If you don’t know your caseworker’s direct number, please call 303-441-1000 and listen for the child support option (press 2). Please select that option and then leave a message. We will return your call as soon as possible.

Receiving Services

Important: If you are currently working with another agency in another state, you must continue to work through the office in that State for child support enforcement assistance.

  • Residents in need of establishing paternity for purposes of obtaining a child support order
  • Custodial parents or legal guardians in need of assistance in establishing a child support order
  • Custodial parents or legal guardians in need of enforcing a child support order
  • Non-Custodial parents wishing to receive credit for child support payments

Associated Fees with Services

  • $20.00 application fee. Fee may be waived in cases of hardship if documentation is provided
  • No fees are charged for ongoing enforcement
  • $25.00 fee will be retained from your total payment if we intercept state or Federal tax return
  • Interstate cases, the other state may charge a fee to enforce your support order
  • For payments made to you in error, recovery will be automatically withheld from each future payment at the rate of 10 percent or $10.00, whichever is greater
  • Federal law requires us to withhold $25.00 one time each year from nonpublic assistance cases, or cases that have over $500.00 collected during that year

Locating Parents & Establishing Paternity

If you need help enforcing your child support order but don’t know where the non-custodial party lives. We can try to locate them. Our office uses a number of tools and resources to try to locate a non-custodial parent. For suggestions on locating non-custodial parties go to the State of Colorado’s Child Support Website

Establishing Paternity

Before establishing a child support order paternity must be determined. If a child or children are not born as a result of a legal marriage, it may be necessary to establish paternity in a legal proceeding. Establish paternity is done by:

  • Acknowledgment of paternity – If the man named as the father of the child agrees to sign an official form stating he is the father. At the time of birth, the father can sign the form; acknowledging paternity may make court involvement unnecessary.
  • Legal establishment of paternity – If the man named by the mother as being the child’s father denies the relationship, or if the mother is unsure who the father is, the county can conduct genetic testing. The court can then review the genetic test results and decide on an appropriate child support order.

Additional information on paternity establishment may be obtained at the State of Colorado’s Child Support Website

Opening a Case:

Start by obtaining an application for services:

  • Housing & Human Services building at 515 Coffman St, Suite 100, Longmont, Colorado 80501
  • Call our office at 303-441-1000 and request an application be mailed to you
  • After submitting an application you will be contacted by a legal technician within 45 days about how to proceed.
  • Download an application , Solicitud
  • Bring your completed application to the Longmont office or mail it to 515 Coffman St, Suite 100, Longmont, Colorado 80501

There is a $20.00 fee to open your child support case. Child support cases are automatically opened for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) participants.

Closing a Case:

  • Submit a written request for closure to your Child Support Services office
  • Payments that come in on a case after it has been closed cannot be processed and will be returned to the sender
  • If your child support case with Boulder County is closed and we are no longer enforcing your order, that does not mean that the provisions of your child support order stop
  • If your children are not emancipated, the non-custodial party may still be held liable for any unpaid child support in the future if an enforcement case is ever re-opened

How long does it take?

Completing the application will take you approximately 30 minutes. You will also need to gather additional documentation such as birth certificates and Social Security cards for your child or children, copies of court orders, and proof of your income to submit with your application. Once we receive a complete application, we open the case within 20 business days.

Legal processes, such as establishing paternity and/or establishing an order can take several months. If you already have a Support Order we will begin enforcing more quickly.
To help us help you more effectively, please provide complete information both with your application and when requested by your technician.

How is a Support Order made?

An order can be made by our office in one of two ways:

  • Administrative Process Action (APA) – is an expedited legal procedure. An administrative hearings officer in our office may conduct a meeting to establish the order. An agreement made between the parents has the same effect as one established in court. It is legally binding on the parties concerned.
  • Orders obtained by Judicial Action – A judge or magistrate conducts the hearing in court and will decide whether to issue a support order. Both parties will be required to appear before the court and provide proof of their income and expenses.
Colorado Child Support Guidelines are used to determine the amount ordered. The Colorado State Child Support website has detailed information on the guidelines as well as links to the actual worksheets and instructions for using them.

How are Child Support Orders enforced?

Payment collection options include:

  • Wage Withholdings
  • Intercepting State or Federal income tax returns
  • Garnishment of unemployment compensation benefits or workers compensation
  • Intercepting Lottery winnings
  • Automatic monthly payments deducted from a bank account.
Actions we use to enforce payment of a child support obligation include:
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Professional license suspension
  • Recreational license suspension (hunting or fishing licenses)
  • Legal contempt of Court proceedings
What if a parent lives out-of-state?

If the non-custodial parent lives in another state and the custodial parent lives in Colorado:

  • We can request another state assist with enforcement if we verify that the non-custodial parent lives there and a wage withholding is not an option.

If the non-custodial parent lives in Colorado and the custodial parent lives in another state:

  • We can enforce a Court Order at the request of the state where the custodial parent is living.
  • We can enforce a Court Order if it was established here and the custodial parent applies for services.
Time frames for an interstate case are different if there are two child support agencies involved, not just one.

More information regarding interstate child support enforcement may be found at the Colorado State Child Support website.

How do I make payments?

If you have received a payment coupon, checks or money orders should be made out to “Family Support Registry” and mailed to:

Family Support Registry
P.O. Box 2171
Denver, Colorado 80201-2171

If you do not have a payment coupon, put your FSR account number on your check or money order for the payment to be credited correctly. You can find your account number by calling 1-800-374-6558.

Automatic payments can be set-up by requesting a reoccurring automatic withdrawal by calling 1-800-374-6558.

Your child support payment can also be deducted out of your paycheck. To provide your employer information for voluntary wage withholding, call your technician or the CSSU main number at 303-441-1000.

More detailed information about the Family Support Registry and available payment distribution options may be found on their website.

How do I receive payments?

All payments are processed by the Family Support Registry, a state agency that tracks payments and distributes them to custodial parties.
Payments are sent via check in the mail to you or by direct deposit or placed on a FSR debit card.

More detailed information about the Family Support Registry and available payment distribution options may be found on their website.

What if I receive Colorado Works (TANF)?

If you are receiving a Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) cash grant, the CSSU will retain your child support payments as reimbursement for benefits issued to you from your program participation.

If you are not presently receiving a TANF grant but have in the past and still have un-reimbursed assistance, your child support payment will be paid to you up to the monthly amount of your court order, and any additional amount will be applied to any un-reimbursed arrears.

Can the Support Order change?

This process is called a Review and Adjustment of your support order, otherwise known as a Modification. A review looks at the income and expenses of both parties and the children. You will submit your request to the CSSU. A hearing can be set with the Court if necessary.

If your order was granted from another state, the child support office will request that state modify your order. Colorado cannot modify another state’s orders directly.

  • Modification requests must be made in writing
  • Specify why and how your circumstances have changed
  • Sign and return the request to the CSSU department that manages your case.
  • Include an income and expensive affidavit with supporting documentation reasons to request a modification are:
    • One of the children has emancipated but your order is a fixed amount for all children on your case.
    • You or the other parent has had a significant change in income that may change your support order by 10 percent or more.
    • There has been a significant change in the cost of raising the children on your case (such as healthcare costs, daycare costs or extraordinary medical expenses).

You can request Modification materials from your technician at the CSSU.

Can I access information online?

Yes, The State of Colorado Child Support Enforcement Program Website Allows You To:

  • Sign-up for a login and user id if you have an established Colorado case
  • Access payment status
  • Access payment records
  • Check on case status
  • Submit changes to personal information
  • Review resources and reference materials

Contact Us

Housing & Human Services

Phone: 303-441-1000
TTY: 1-800-659-3656
Fax: 303-441-1523
Submit a question

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 471
Boulder, CO 80306

Boulder Location

3460 Broadway
Map & Directions

2525 13th St, Suite 204
Map & Directions
Fax: 720-564-2283
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Longmont Location

515 Coffman Street
Map & Directions
Hours: 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM - M-F

Housing & Human Services

Connect With Us