Boulder County Public Works manages construction projects in unincorporated Boulder County for roads, bridges, multi-use pathways, and drainages.
Construction-Related Travel Impacts
County Road Projects
Sugarloaf Road Flood Recovery Project underway
Boulder County is currently working on the last 2013 flood recovery-related project on Sugarloaf Road. The project involves the construction of five retaining walls, drainage improvements, and reconstruction of approximately 2,000-feet of roadway just up from CO 119 and will include a four-foot shoulder in the uphill lane. Temporary traffic signals will be installed on Sugarloaf Road as the road will be reduced to one-lane in the construction zone. In addition, CO 119/Boulder Canyon Drive will be reduced to one lane during working hours (8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday). Flaggers will be used to guide travelers on CO 119 during the lane closures. The project is anticipated to last into October, weather permitting. Learn more on the project webpage.
Olde Stage Road resurfacing project starts in July
Boulder County Public Works and Asphalt Specialties will work on resurfacing Olde Stage Road between Lefthand Canyon Drive and Lee Hill Drive starting in early July. Work will include creation of a 4-foot uphill shoulder on the south side of Olde Stage Road to provide more room for cyclists and pedestrians. Learn more about that project.
South Boulder Road Emergency Concrete Panel Replacement – Project on hold to date to be determined
Failing concrete panels will be replaced on South Boulder Road between Manhattan Drive and Cherryvale Road starting at a date to be determined. This work will require lane closures in both directions on South Boulder Road and a pedestrian/cyclist detour due to a shoulder closure (see map). The work is anticipated to take two weeks, weather permitting. Expect delays during the entire project due to South Boulder Road being reduced to one-lane in each direction. Learn more.
Chip Seal Roadwork starts June 7
Boulder County Road Maintenance will start annual chip seal operations on Tuesday, June 7. Work will take place from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday and the project is anticipated to last into July. Work will take place on nine stretches of roadway in the following order:
- 119th Street from Oxford Road to the county line
- 115th Street from Oxford Road to Niwot Road and on to East County Line Road
- Isabelle Road from 95th Street to US 287
- Valmont Road from 75th to 95th street
- Jay Road from 63rd to 75th street
- Lookout Road from 75th street to US 287
- Somerset and Longview Road in Niwot
- 73rd/75th Streets from Niwot Road to CO Highway 66
- N. 1115th from CO Highway 66 to Yellowstone Road
- See map
Work will require lane closures and reduced speeds. Cyclists may want to avoid these roads until the roads are sealed and final sweeping can take place. Learn more about why annual chip seal operations are important for the lifespan of county roads and how the county uses a smaller chip to help make the new surface smoother for cycling.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work to complete these projects.
Projects Impacting Cycling
Sugarloaf Road Construction – No uphill cycling between CO 119 and Betasso Road
Starting May 2, 2022, crews will begin constructing new retaining walls along the first 2,000-feet of Sugarloaf Road up from CO 119/Boulder Canyon. In order to complete this work, Sugarloaf will be reduced to one-lane in this stretch. Traffic signals will be used to control alternating traffic on the available lane. Due to the steep incline, cycling will not be allowed in the uphill direction through the construction zone Cycling will be allowed in the downhill direction. The project is anticipated to be completed in October 2022, weather permitting. Learn more.
Thank you for following restrictions! We apologize for any inconvenience.
- US 287 CLOSED in both directions between Dillon & Miramonte March 21 through March 26
- CO 7 – Lyons to Raymond/Riverside Flood Recovery Reconstruction Project – CDOT August 2021 to December 2022
- Expect significant travel delays and roadway closures starting in Sept. 2021
- Project Webpage
- Project hotline = 720-912-8870
- Project email = CO7Info@kiewit.com
- Text “CO7UPDATES” to 21000 to receive project text alerts
- Special Event Permit Requests – Pending & Approved taking place throughout Boulder County
- Utilize CDOT’s COtrip.org website to see real time traffic condition updates on state highways
- Learn about road closures in the City of Boulder at www.BoulderConeZones.net.
- Learn about road closures in Longmont
- Learn about road closures in Lafayette
- Learn about road closures in Louisville
- Learn about road closures in Erie