Safe Disposal Locations in Boulder County
Learn where you can safely dispose of prescription medications in Boulder County using this interactive map. Click on the map image to open the interactive map.
Keep unused drugs from being misused and reduce the amount of chemicals that reach our waterways by dropping your pharmaceuticals off at a designated site or by following simple steps for home disposal.
Other Disposal Options
Home Disposal of Medications
Never flush unused medication down the drain.
- Pour liquid medications over cat litter or other absorbent material, and seal it in a plastic bag before placing it in the trash.
- Fill pill containers with household glue, remove all personal information from the container, and place it in the trash after the glue has dried.
- Cut trans-dermal patches into small strips, place them in a container, and add glue or mix them with coffee grounds or used cat litter.
Home Disposal of Syringes
You can also prevent contamination of our waterways by safely disposing of syringes at home, using a needle exchange program, or via a syringe disposal company.
- Place sharps in a strong plastic bottle (e.g. bleach, liquid detergent) or metal container with a screw-on or tightly secured lid to prevent accidental contact with the waste.
- Secure lid with duct tape.
- Place sealed container in your regular trash.
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
- The Hazardous Materials Management Facility (HMMF) is currently accepting sharps from Boulder County, City and County of Broomfield, and Town of Erie residents free of charge during normal hours of operation
- Sharps are NOT accepted by recycling programs. Do not put sharps in with the recycling, even if the container you use to seal them is recyclable, as this puts staff at the recycling center at risk.
The Works Program provides free and anonymous syringe exchange for injecting drug users to prevent the spread of HIV and other bloodborne diseases.
For More Information
Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
Hazardous Materials and Waste Management Division
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South
Denver, Colorado 80246-1530
Customer Technical Assistance: 303-692-3320 or 888-569-1831, Ext. 3320 (toll-free)