Boulder County Area Agency on Aging works to protect the rights of elders to live safely, with dignity and to be free from abuse, neglect or financial exploitation. The program provides community education on the warning signs of abuse and what to do about it.
For more information on scheduling an educational presentation on elder rights:
Elder abuse is vastly under-reported. It is estimated that 1 in 10 Americans age 60 and older experiences abuse each year with many experiencing multiple forms. Below are a few signs of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation.
Does a spouse or partner, family member, friend or caregiver:
- Keep you from seeing other family or friends?
- Control your activities and whereabouts?
- Threaten to hurt you, him/herself or pets?
- Take your money to pay their bills?
- Neglect or ignore your health, care or emotional needs?
If you’ve said yes to any of these, or you’ve witnessed an older adult being treated in any of these ways, call Adult Protective Services, 303-441-1000. Call 911 in an emergency.