November 23, 2020
Boulder County releases staff report (including 3rd draft regulations) in advance of Dec. 1 Board of County Commissioners virtual public hearing on the updated Oil and Gas Regulations
Registration and speaker sign-up open for Dec. 1 hearing
Boulder County, Colo. - Boulder County has released the staff report and third draft of its updated oil and gas regulations for the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) public hearing on Docket DC-19-0002 Amendments Related to Article 12 of the Land Use Code: Proposed Land Use Code amendments addressing oil and gas development, seismic testing, and companion changes to the Land Use Code. View the Dec. 1, 2020 BOCC Staff Report and 3rd Draft Oil and Gas Regulations.
The Board of County Commissioners will review the proposed regulations beginning Tuesday, December 1, 2020 at 4 P.M. (see full schedule below). All materials and information on how to participate in the December 1 public hearing are available on the Boulder County Oil & Gas webpage. Comments may be submitted to email@example.com for the BOCC to consider.
The regulations have been revised in response to Senate Bill 19-181 (“Protect Public Welfare Oil and Gas Operations”) which prioritizes the protection of public safety, health, welfare, and the environment in the regulation of the oil and gas industry and grants additional authority to local governments to regulate the impacts of oil and gas development. Planning Commission reviewed the docket at public proceedings on Nov. 9 and 10, 2020 and recommended their approval to the Board of County Commissioners.
The county’s updated regulations provide for close scrutiny of all proposed oil and gas development and multiple opportunities for public input prior to any decision being made. For any new oil and gas development applications, these regulations will allow staff, the Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee, the Planning Commission, and the Board of County Commissioners to consider site-specific circumstances and possible measures to avoid, minimize, and mitigate adverse impacts in determining whether to approve or deny a proposal. In addition, the proposed regulations will help to ensure careful monitoring and enforcement over oil and gas operations, including existing oil and gas facilities. The staff report posted online details the proposed regulations in full.
The county will continue to have a moratorium on new oil and gas development and seismic testing in place through December 31, 2020 while the regulations are under review, so that any new applications to drill can be reviewed under the most protective, updated regulations that are ultimately adopted. No applications for oil and gas development have been submitted to Boulder County to date.
How to attend the Dec. 1 virtual public hearing
Information on how to attend or speak at the Dec. 1 4 p.m. BOCC virtual public hearing is posted on the county’s Oil & Gas webpage. Please note registration is required. Any updates to the schedule will also be posted on the webpage. Sign-up to receive notification via email or text message.
Schedule for review of the updated regulations (Docket DC-19-0002):
- Now through Nov. 23, 2020 – County staff participates in Colorado Oil & Gas Conservation Commission (COGCC) “Mission Change” Rulemaking Process (200-600 Series and 800-1200 Series).
- Monday, Nov. 9 at 4 p.m. – Planning Commission held a public hearing to receive public testimony on the proposed oil and gas regulations.
- Tuesday, Nov. 10 at 4 p.m. – Planning Commission held a public meeting for discussion and recommendation approval of the docket to the Board of County Commissioners. They approved and recommended approval of the docket to the Board of County Commissioners.
- Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2020 at 4 p.m. – Public hearing for the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) to receive public testimony on the proposed oil and gas regulations. Public testimony only; no action will be taken by BOCC.
- Thursday, Dec. 3, 2020 at 4 p.m. – Public meeting for BOCC discussion. Adoption of regulations or direction to staff to modify regulations. No additional public testimony will be taken.
- (If necessary) Thursday, Dec. 10 at 4 p.m. – BOCC public proceedings continued, if needed.
- (If necessary) Tuesday, Dec. 15 at 4 p.m. – BOCC public proceedings continued, if needed.