Entries for cut-your-own Christmas tree permits are due Sunday, Nov. 14. at midnight
Christmas Tree Permits
Christmas Tree Permits
Parks & Open Space staff will issue 100 permits to allow residents to cut their own lodgepole pine Christmas tree at Reynolds Ranch Open Space near Nederland. Permits will be issued through a random drawing from eligible submissions.
During the entry process, select which time slot(s) you are available to attend. The permit allows you to cut one tree during the designated time slot. 25 permits will be issued per time slot. Time slots are:
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 9 – 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 4, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 5, 9 – 11 a.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 5, 1 – 3 p.m.
- Nov 14 (midnight): Deadline to enter random drawing
- Nov 15: All entrants notified whether or not they were granted a permit
- Nov 28 (midnight): Deadline to purchase $20 permit
- Nov 29: Waitlist notified of any available permits
- Dec 4 & 5: Time to cut Christmas trees!
Please consider the following before submitting an entry for a Christmas tree permit.
- PERMIT FEE: Payment information is not collected during the entry process, but selected permit holders must pay a $20 non-refundable permit fee online with a credit or debit card (sorry, cash or check will not be accepted).
- EQUIPMENT: Selected permit holders must bring a handsaw to cut the tree. Chainsaws are not allowed.
- VEHICLES: Only one vehicle per permit is allowed due to parking constraints. Permit holders must bring all necessary materials, such as straps and rope, to securely transport the tree in/on their vehicle.
- TREES: Selected permit holders will be allowed to cut a lodgepole pine tree to help thin an area of forest. These trees are not what you find at stores or Christmas tree lots. Those trees typically come from farms where they are specifically grown and pruned to create full and symmetric trees. These lodgepole pines are between 3 and 8 feet tall, might have weaker limbs, and might not look as full as typical Christmas trees. But they have excellent needle retention, look unique, and you will have the satisfaction of helping with forest management efforts.
- WEATHER: The event will be held regardless of weather. Vehicles must be equipped to handle severe winter driving conditions.
- WAIVER: Selected permit holders and all accompanied guests must sign a Waiver and Release of Liability before entering the property.
Submit An Entry
Entries for the random drawing must be received by Sunday, Nov. 14, at midnight. Your contact information will only be used to communicate with you about Christmas Tree Permits. You will not be added to any mailing lists and we will never sell or give your information to a third party.
Only one entry per household allowed
The random drawing will be held on Monday, Nov. 15, and 100 permits will be issued (25 permits for each time slot).
Selected permit holders will be sent an email indicating which time slot they were selected for and instructions on how to pay the $20 permit fee. The fee must be paid online using a credit or debit card (sorry, cash or check will not be accepted). Payment will be processed through the Boulder County Parks & Open Space Foundation and proceeds will fund future forestry projects. Selected permit holders must pay the permit fee by Sunday, Nov. 28, at midnight. Any unpaid permits will be made available to the wait list.
Anyone not selected will be placed on a waitlist and will be notified if a permit comes available. Everyone will be sent an email indicating if they were selected or not.
- Permit is good for one tree only.
- Permit fee is non-refundable.
- Permit fee must be paid online with a credit or debit card. Cash or check will not be accepted.
- Permits are valid only during the specified time slot.
- Permits cannot be exchanged or traded for a different time slot.
- Permits are non-transferable.
- Permit holder must be present during the time slot.
- Permit holder and all accompanied guests must sign a Waiver and Release of Liability before entering the property.
- Only one permit per household will be issued.
- Pets are not allowed.