Applications must be filed no later than July 15 to have the exemption apply to the tax bill you receive the following year.
Effect on Taxes
- The exemption goes into effect for tax year 2021.
- The discount will first appear on the tax notice sent in January 2022.
- The exemption remains in effect until a disqualifying event occurs, such as:
- Sale of property
- Property is moved into a trust, LLC or other legal entity, or
- Surviving Spouse, or
- Home destroyed by a natural disaster
To qualify to apply for the 2021 tax year (payable in 2022), seniors:
- Were born on or before January 1, 1956, and
- Lived in the home continuously starting before January 1, 2011, and
- Owned the home continuously starting before January 1, 2011.
If you wish to apply for the exemption, and will qualify as of January 1, 2021, and wish to receive a form to fill out, you may have your name added to our mailing list by calling our office at 303-441-3530, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those who qualify, 50 percent of the first $200,000 in actual value of their primary residence is exempted, for a maximum exemption amount of $100,000 in actual value. The State of Colorado pays the property taxes on the exempted value.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.