If you wish to apply for the exemption, and qualified as of January 1, 2022, and wish to receive a form to fill out, you may call our office at 303-441-3530, email email@example.com, or print an application (see Instructions & Application Forms below).
The deadline for 2022 applications is July 15.
Effect on Taxes
- The exemption goes into effect for tax year 2022.
- The discount will first appear on the tax bill sent in January 2023.
- The exemption remains in effect until a disqualifying event occurs, such as:
- Sale of property
- Property is moved into a trust, LLC or other legal entity, or
- Surviving Spouse, or
- Home destroyed by a natural disaster
To qualify to apply for the 2022 tax year (payable in 2023), seniors:
- Were born on or before January 1, 1957, and
- Lived in the home continuously starting before January 1, 2012, and
- Owned the home continuously starting before January 1, 2012.
For those who qualify, 50 percent of the first $200,000 in actual value of their primary residence is exempted, for a maximum exemption amount of $100,000 in actual value. The State of Colorado pays the property taxes on the exempted value.
Instructions & Application Forms
Applications are also available at the Assessor’s office, senior centers and other locations.
If you have any questions, please email AssessorSX@BoulderCounty.org.